Juniper SRX Review

Stable with application control features and a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the SD-WAN solution, not the firewall. We use it to protect the perimeter of the client. It's like a firewall for the perimeter.

What is most valuable?

The application control features are excellent.

The solution has been good for fulfilling our basic needs.

What needs improvement?

Our operational team handles the solution more than I do. I personally haven't seen any features that are missing per se.

The solution isn't very granular or detailed. However, we're just using the basics anyway.

The product could have a quicker response when it comes to technical support getting back when we have questions.

We've been using the solution for one year.

The stability overall has been okay. It's working. We have the solution in production now for almost a month. At this moment, I haven't heard of any complaints of the stability, or of any bugs within this product.

Typically, we deal with medium-sized organizations.

The solution doesn't have scalability due to the fact that it is a fixed WAN and therefore it's limited to its hardware. You can't scale that to attend to a bigger organization. It's limited. It was created to a specific size; it was not created to scale. It doesn't have this option.

Technical support has been very good. I would rate it a nine out of ten. We're quite satisfied with the level of service we've been provided so far. However, they could improve slightly by increasing their time to respond. They can be a bit slow.

As resellers, we deal with a variety of products including Cisco and Fortinet.

The initial setup wasn't too complex. It was pretty straightforward. We didn't really face any problems during implementation.

The deployment takes about 20 minutes. This without the client tests and just the configuration and no validation. Everything that was necessary was applied, however, not with the tests as it took too much of the client's time, and would have took much longer.

We buy the license from our reseller and implement the license for our clients.

With Jupiter, we sell IT services such as perimeter security. The client can buy his own firewall or we can buy it for the clients if they would like us to.

We don't have a focus on selling equipment, however.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. We don't use the product ourselves. We implement solutions such as this for our clients.

I'd advise those considering the solution to gather the most information possible and organize it so that you can configure the firewall according to the company's needs. The relationship between the information that we get and what the client needs at the firewall, the real needs, is important.

Overall, we've been happy with the solution and I would rate it a nine out of ten.

340
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementer
More Juniper SRX reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Juniper SRX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.