Juniper SRX Review

Good technical support, but the reliability and integration with other devices need to be improved

What is our primary use case?

The Juniper SRX is our edge firewall.

We have three in total. Two of them are set up in an HA pair, and the other is standalone in another city.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has definitely not improved the way our organization functions.

I am familiar with Cisco products and when we purchased the Juniper units, they told us that if you know Cisco IOS then Juniper SRX is really easy. It isn't. It would be like saying that if you know English, then Chinese is really easy. The reality is that it's completely different. There's no commonality and the philosophies are different. Everything is different.

What is most valuable?

We purchased it for the basic firewall features but added UTM a little bit later.

What needs improvement?

The reliability needs to be improved. We purchased three devices and all three have been replaced under RMA. We've had other problems where they have needed to be rebooted.

A couple of times I've run into the problems where they have to integrate with other systems. The Juniper support really doesn't have a clue about other systems. They know Juniper and if everything is Juniper then it's great. However, we have Windows RADIUS Servers and I need Juniper-specific settings for them. Unfortunately, they're having a real hard time telling me what those should be, and they keep referring back to it being Microsoft, which they don't support. When they say that I need to speak with Microsoft, I remind them that these are things that are defined in the Juniper configurations that I need to set up. They seem to forget that not everybody is exclusively Juniper.

We bought three Juniper SRX345s about four years ago, and we are still using them today.

We have had glitches that necessitating rebooting the device. For example, a couple of times, they just stop routing on certain VLANs, and one time, it was our server VLANs, so our DNS was down and no one could get to anything. People thought that our internet connection down but actually, it was the DNS and the routing to it had been stopped.

We're a relatively small organization so we didn't scale it.

All of the people in the organization are protected by the devices.

I have used technical support quite a bit, and they are really good. I would rate them an eight out of ten. There is almost always room for improvement.

Prior to the Juniper SRX devices, we had some Cisco ASAs. They were reaching end-of-life so we had to replace them.

At the time we were shopping, Cisco was behind in their technologies. Had they kept up with the technology and provided a comparable device at a competitive price, we would have stayed with Cisco.

We hired a contractor to set up the units.

The IT manager and I, being the network admin, are the only ones who touch it. We try to keep the software updated on all of our devices.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this product is to make sure that they fully understand Junos OS. Over the past four years, I have become moderately proficient with Juniper SRX. There still a lot to learn but I also have contractors that I can get assistance from if needed. For example, currently, I'm trying to set up RADIUS and I'm having some problems with it.

In summary, I think that their design philosophy is really good, but the execution leaves a bit to be desired.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

345
More Juniper SRX reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Juniper SRX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.