Juniper SRX Review

Interface uncomplicated, integrates efficiently, and desirable features

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a device to meet NTLS connections, a firewall, and we are thinking about using it for SD-WAN.

What is most valuable?

The firewall features and the routing capability are the most valuable. The interface is straightforward and we have not had any problems with integration.

What needs improvement?

Their models for service providers could improve. We are an MSP, we resell services and I think the company could have a better program for service providers because our needs are different from our regular customer that is buying it for.

More recently we started using the GUI interface and that looks pretty shameful and needs improvement.

Juniper has a different product line that has artificial intelligence capabilities. In the future, we would like to see that extended to the SRX line.

I have been using the solution for approximately two years.

We have found the solution to be very stable. We have had literally little to no hardware or device failures in the field and have not had any customer complaints. In the years we have been using the solution we have not had any issues using it.

The scalability is good. The solution is best for small to medium size businesses.

We had to use the support in a couple of instances. When we have used the support, it was good. They were responsive and able to resolve our issues. There is also some community support online that I have found to be helpful.

The installation difficulty depends on the setup. Initially, when we started using the solution, we were using the command line interface and it took us a while to learn the commands, eventually, it becomes straightforward.

The full deployment took us approximately one month. We typically need only one person for deployment, and we have a service operation center that manages the devices and provides the maintenance.

The price could improve, it is a bit expensive. Our licensing cost is approximately $120.00 USD annually. There are some extra fees, for example, the GUI has an orchestrator that has its own fees.

Some of our clients have also seen similar solutions from our competitors such as Cisco and Fortinet. I think technically they are all very good products. However, for us we were looking for a product that was stable and had good support, this is the reason we chose Juniper. We package Juniper as part of our managed service to our customers.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, generally, it is a good product with helpful support. The one thing we would like to see changes in is the pricing could be better.

I rate Juniper SRX an eight out of ten.

More Juniper SRX reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Juniper SRX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.