Juniper SRX Review

Easy to install, stable, and has the consistent Juniper CLI

What is our primary use case?

I used this solution in my previous organization. We used it to protect data centers and some private resources.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about Juniper is that they have the same CLI on all routers, switches, and firewalls. If you have worked with any Juniper device, such as a Juniper router, you will be able to work with an SRX, which is really cool. It is a nice experience to work with every device of Juniper, not only firewalls.

What needs improvement?

As a networking person, I don't really have any major issues with this device. Based on my experience of using it in a cluster, it could be more stable. I had an incident when one of the SRXs in a cluster couldn't learn ARP.

It is a good solution, but firewalls don't seem to be an area of development for Juniper. They are focusing on data centers, routers, and switches, not firewalls.

Its stability isn't bad. In two years of supporting this device, I had only one issue. I had an incident when one of the SRXs in a cluster couldn't learn ARP, and the request didn't move between cluster units. I had to fix this manually, which wasn't really cool because I had to get up in the night because of this incident.

We weren't using it in a high load infrastructure.

I didn't really need their support. I only needed their support for the demo of their CSR product because it wasn't working as mentioned in their documents.

Its initial setup is straightforward. If you are a network engineer with some experience, you will be able to configure it easily. I have configured many Juniper firewalls, and it was really easy. Configuring the device isn't a problem. The main problem is preparing the environment and the infrastructure for your device.

It took more than one year to use this solution in production because I used a lot of features in my demo infrastructure, such as VSRX, to demonstrate this solution to potential and existing customers.

What other advice do I have?

I like the SRX series. In fact, I like all products from Juniper.

I would rate Juniper SRX an eight out of ten.

More Juniper SRX reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Juniper SRX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.