Juniper SRX Review

Consolidation combines routing, switching, and firewall services in one device

What is most valuable?

• Form factor: It is small, very nimble, and can be deployed in very small environments which do not have wiring closets.
  • Consolidation: It combines routing, switching, and firewall services in one device.
  • Stable OS: There is a one Junos release training for all the Juniper products, thus minimizes the training needed and enhances interoperability.
  • Open standards: The Juniper OS is based on the open standards and making it very interoperable in the mixed vendor environments.
  • Superior performance: This can be achieved by true separation of control and data plane, hence data plane inefficiencies do not affect the control plane and vice versa.
  • Cloud-enabled device: The SRX300 is cloud-ready and can be used to implement SDSN in micro-environments.

How has it helped my organization?

It has greatly reduced the network management functions by reducing the number of devices to manage (one vs three), and easy fault management using the new GUI.

What needs improvement?

Disaggregation (this is available in the box) should be improved to include software intelligence that is actionable.

I have used this solution for about four and a half years.

There were no stability issues. It is a very stable and reliable product. It can run for several years without a single glitch.

It is highly scalable for its target market.

The technical support team is very co-operative and gives quick responses for the logged cases. A hundred percent of the logged cases have been resolved within the SLA period.

We looked at MikroTik. However, more features such as the performance, scalability, and consolidation were available on the Juniper device.

The initial setup was simple and can be done 100% via the GUI.

The price per performance value is the best out there in the market. No licensing is needed for all the features apart from the security part, i.e., no licensing for extra services and VPN comes free in the base.

We evaluated the FortiGate 80 and 60 series and Cisco ASA 5500.

What other advice do I have?

The Juniper SRX300 is a stable and very reliable product, packed with a lot of capabilities that are not available in the competing products of the same range. I would highly recommend this product to anyone interested in implementing it.

This box has it all and is more for the small-scale branch market. Packaged as an all-in-one routing, switching, and security solution, the SRX300 minimizes the need to deploy separate devices to perform these functions by leveraging on its consolidation, all coming with the carrier-grade capabilities.