Juniper SRX Review

The operating system and the flexibility it provides is what really differentiates this solution

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is a combination of a firewall, router, and VPN termination device.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to do remote configuration changes, and if there is a problem, not losing connectivity to the device.

What is most valuable?

I really like the Juniper operating system. It is more of a UNIX based system, more than Cisco, and I really like it. There is a lot of flexibility in how you can commit, check, and back out of a configuration.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, it could use more on the security side. It's a good stable firewall, but it's nowhere near what it needs to be for a next-generation type firewall.

They also need to improve their documentation. With Cisco, you can find lots of examples, but with Juniper, it is not always the case. One area that needs more focus is instruction on how to interoperate with other vendor's products. I would like to see documentation on running IPsec tables between Fortinet and Juniper or Cisco and Juniper because the information is not there.

Their technical support also needs improvement, as they are lagging behind Cisco.

Eight years.

This is a very, very stable solution. Again, their operating system is outstanding. Really, this is what differentiates it.

In terms of scalability, it clusters nicely so you can put it into a stacked mode. The size that it is meant to serve, it does very well. It is not meant as a large enterprise-type firewall. Rather, it is meant for a small to medium sized customer.

We currently have about seventy-five users, and we don't plan to increase that number at this time.

I would say that their technical support is ok, but it needs improvement. This is an area where they are not as good as Cisco.

We migrated to this solution from a Cisco ASA (Adaptive Security Appliance).

Transitioning from the Cisco ASA that we had running took about two hours of planning and another two hours of execution time.

In terms of the maintenance, myself and one other person take care of everything. We take on small contracts all over the place.

I handled the implementation for this solution myself.

The pricing is perhaps half to around forty percent of Cisco.

Juniper is my favorite and I had used it so much that we did not evaluate any other products.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is really nice to use. It's very similar in terms of capabilities to a Cisco, but it's just that the operating system is so much nicer to use.

I would say that you need some time to get comfortable with the operating system if you've never used it before, but don't let that scare you. Buy it and put it on your desk for a week, then play with it. If you've got a live environment or if you've got some type of simulation you can set it up in, it won't take long and you can feel comfortable using it.

I would rate this product an eight and a half out of ten.