Juniper vSRX Review

Has advanced features and enables us to have faster firewall deployments

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use it as a firewall for our customers. It's much faster to deploy a power source. If you need to deploy a firewall in the cloud of software, it's much easier and much faster than deploying the office firewall in a rush. That's our primary usage, fast deployment of firewalls for customers.

What is most valuable?

We just use three or four features. There are several advanced features, that we are not using at the moment.

What needs improvement?

The stability could be improved.

For the moment I think it has all of the features I need. The only thing I'd like to see is the ability to create firewalls. That's the only feature I lack. Also, when you need to upgrade and when you need to reboot it, there's some downtime, and I'd like to be able to upgrade it without downtime.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The early version, the 15 version, was very stable, but we've found when we go to higher versions we have the features but the stability lacks a little bit. It's pretty stable. For example, it's stable, but when you want to diminish features it can be unstable and sometimes we need to roll back to earlier versions.

It's very scalable. It's very easy to deploy, one instance per customer or per instance needed.

We have very close contact with technical support, so if we have a problem we can contact them directly. It's a good relationship. They are very good.

We used Palo Alto, Fortinet and One IP. Our main focus is on Juniper material.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's not very complex. Deployment takes about ten minutes. In the beginning, it was half an hour, but now we are deploying vSRX in ten minutes. At the moment, for maintenance, we use just one junior network engineer. It's all automated. In the beginning, we had two to three people working on the deployment.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

Because we use the attached features we just buy perpetual licenses for one-year or three years just for the bandwidth.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution and suggest you test it. It's a good product if you have a chance to work with it, if it fits right in your environment, it's really good to see what it can do.

I would rate this solution at 8.5 out of 10. I would rate it as a 10 if I had the ability to create a highly available firewall and if there was more stability in the new features.