Kaminario K2 Review

Speed has been the most valuable feature. We like how it is easy to spin up a LUN and get going.

Valuable Features

For us, the valuable feature has really been the speed. We moved from a Fusion IO card right on the PCI bus. We moved a 2 TB one over, and we didn't lose any speed, no degradation; everything just ran great. That's been one of our biggest features.

Ease of use: My installers - my administrators over the system - they love how easy and fast it is to install and spin up a LUN and get going.

Room for Improvement

As of right now, I haven't done a whole lot of work on it. I would like to see them work with Cisco, so it comes off the FIs, instead of having to go through my 10-gig network. One extra hop is not a big deal, but it’d be a little bit faster if we can get it right to the back point of my FIs. I think that's the biggest feature I would like to see come down the line.

It has been one of the most stable solutions so far that I've seen. Obviously, we're 10 months into it. We have not had any problems with it.

When we've had minor issues, we've had calls with support and they were able to resolve them fast, easy. Everybody was straightforward. It's been a very transparent company with us, so we're very happy in that aspect.

Based on everything I have read and seen, it's a very scalable solution; it can scale out, scale up. That's one of the reasons we chose to go with it, because we felt like in the future we could move forward with it.

Support has been great. While I have never had to personally call, I've had my administrators call. Every time we called and had an issue, they are on it. They are fast. They are timely. They are clear and precise on their answers, and generally willing to help out. Sometimes when you call tech support, or a support company, you just don't get that feeling they want to be there. On the other hand, these guys are excited about the technology and want to help out.

Initial setup was really straight forward. It was very easy. They did send out two people including my sales engineer at the time to install it, but the install was great. They were very thorough. They walked my engineer through every last little step, what needed done. Ever since then, we've managed it ourselves.

Other Advice

Go with it. I tell people all the time they need to take a serious look at it. If they're looking for speed, reliability, and the deduplication that they'll be getting out of it, this is definitely a great product to look at.

My rating mainly reflects that I'm not using its full potential. I want to see what it can do. But it's up there. It's a really good product.