Kaminario K2 Review

It gives us the latency performance that we wanted.

Valuable Features

Latency is definitely the big key for us. Obviously all flash with the IOPS was also important, but I think latency was the bigger key to give us the performance that we wanted.

Room for Improvement

In terms of what we're looking for, I don’t see anything critical at the moment. Some of the nice to haves for us, in terms of today, would be VVols but again, it’s not a critical feature. We can continue to use what we use now.

I'd give it a perfect rating if I could push it to 300,000 IOPS like they promote; we just haven't been able to push that many IOPS out of our system.

It's been absolutely stable and consistent. We have not run into any issues at all. We try to push it. We can't push it as far as we need, I guess, or our applications can't push it. We know it's capable.

Scalability was one of the key factors for us on our purchase. We haven't needed to scale yet but in the future, if we do need to, it's certainly a consideration we're going to play a part in.

The couple of technical support calls we've made, they've been proactive, very good about that; so that's been good. I have no qualms about the support either.

Part of the reason my company started using it was that we had an older SAN that was going end of life, so we had to research and buy a new SAN to replace the SAN that was going end of life. The current marketplace was kind of in between hybrids and all flash, so we decided to go all flash. Kaminario came up in regard to the research.

Initial setup was straightforward; it was easy. The installer, the technician that came in, he was very straightforward and very easy going. It was incredibly fast compared to the past installs we've done before.

Other Advice

When we start working with a vendor like Kaminario, we look for longevity. We look for a company that has a good report. We look for compatibility with the software that we use. Those are big keys for us.

I think this product hits all the big features of all the SANs that are out there, all the storage vendors that are out there and more. In terms of performance, scalability, scaling out, scaling up, it's all there.