K2

Kaminario K2 Review
We were looking for a solution that offers block-level deduplication.

Improvements to My Organization

The biggest thing for us, second to the performance, is that we were looking for a solution that offers block-level deduplication. Right now, the capacity that we're saving by using Kaminario's K2 is giving us a four-to-one ratio for our deduplication. We're using it specifically and exclusively for block level; we probably have about 300 VMs just in our studio alone and of that, I believe that we probably have half of that or more running on the K2. It's saving us a lot of storage.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see LDAP for the management panel; I've been notified they might be currently working on it. That is probably the biggest feature that we wanted; otherwise, everything has been just a champion with it, we've been really happy with it.

Use of Solution

We've been using Kaminario since November of 2015.

It’s been extremely stable. The last time we brought Kaminario down was to do a firmware upgrade, so our uptime before that was months, and months, and months.

I believe it will scale to meet your company's needs going forward. I like the way that they have designed it to scale up and out. We're looking at eventually adding some more capacity to it, because I believe that we're using probably about 85% at the moment.

Support's amazing. When it came time for the flash upgrade, our rep contacted us, and put us in touch with their engineering team. I had a guy on the phone with a remote session, running through the firmware upgrade; everything went flawlessly. And it was a live upgrade too, we didn't even have to bring the array down.

The main reason we started using it was our continuous integration environment. We had a product before that was 15,000 RPM SAS spinning discs; build times were at about two hours. Our holdup was disk I/O, so we did a PoC with Kaminario and we reduced build times down to fifteen minutes for a full build from two hours. That was the best part about it.

Other Advice

When I decide to work with a vendor like Kaminario, I look for, honestly, cost effectiveness. I like the most bang for our buck. I definitely look at performance metrics. I'm not so much interested in whether they're a big power player like EMC or Dell or anything like that. To me, the truth is in the numbers.

As far as advice, I'd recommend, if they're looking for a flash-based solution for high throughput, low latency, and high IOPS, check out Kaminario's K2, because so far it's worked for us; we've provided a testimony for them. Honestly, for us to stretch ourselves out there and do that, it's been amazing for us.

2 visitors found this review helpful
E5771d02 2aff 481a b546 f5e7331d7374 avatarAnonymous avatar x30

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Kaminario K2?

Our experts can help. 242,381 professionals have used our research on 5,991 solutions.