Kaminario K2 Review

Built-in snapshot support gives us SAN-side functionality most other platforms license separately.

How has it helped my organization?

We no longer have to consider the performance penalties associated with different application profiles in our cloud stack. Having a high-performance SAN core gives us instant resources, with capacity on demand.

What is most valuable?

Standard-based monitoring means we aren't locked in to using platform-specific or proprietary tooling to track and monitor our device performance.

Built-in snapshot support gives us SAN-side functionality most other platforms would have had us license separately.

Unexpectedly high compression ratios give us more capacity for our investment; again without a nickel-and-dime licensing model.

Rocketing IOPS results in performance we don't have to fixate on. We can instead focus efforts on other layers in the stack, knowing that our SAN layer is lightning fast, with capacity to spare.

What needs improvement?

The front panel of the drive shelf doesn't always seat firmly. Aside from that, we haven't found any shortcomings in their platform to date.

The solution has behaved seamlessly since installation.

We haven’t had scalability issues.

We have not had cause to engage with their technical support.

I didn't use a different solution in this installation, but did previous deployments with NetApp, EMC, EquaLogic and the Dell MD family. Kaminario presents a more feature-rich experience, with a highly compelling performance factor.

Setup was extremely straightforward. As opposed to other management interfaces, the Kaminario tooling is platform-agnostic, and provides a high degree of flexibility, without being complicated.

Consider the total investment in each suite being considered. The "extra" costs associated with features and options that are available off the shelf with Kaminario, make their value proposition extremely competitive.

In this case, we did not actively evaluate anything else. We had a very limited window in which to execute our implementation and the Kaminario team made that happen.

What other advice do I have?

Make use of the team Kaminario provides in the sales and post-sales processes. They're an invaluable resource in streamlining a deployment.