Kaspersky Endpoint Security Review

A mature product offering good protection and very good features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint security. We protect servers and end point users by using Kaspersky solution with additional product of the same compnay if required . e.g sand box solution , EDR etc

How has it helped my organization?

It is a mature product and have been using it for long time. It is easy to use and its data base engine is very up to date. Kaspersky solution gives you piece of mind and confidence that you have a proper security against viruses and Trojan etc

What is most valuable?

We've had clients that used to use Symantec Endpoint Security before they started using Kaspersky. Initially, they were a little reluctant about it, about seven or eight years ago. However, after the first year, when they saw the performance of Kaspersky and the quality of the product and the support we provide, they had more confidence.  Kaspersky is simply more reliable than products like Symantec.

The solution offers very good protection. After almost ten years of use by a client, Kaspersky has not allowed any penetration of ransomware or any other viruses. Kaspersky has been able to repeatedly stop and resolve security issues.

The product is easy to operate and it is so mature in our client's network that they don't want to even look at other products.

All antivirus products offer more or less the same kinds of features. However, Kaspersky has, in my view, two or three features that actually put them apart with their competitors. One is called the System Watcher. What the System Watcher does is (in case of ransomware or if they executed by mistake any ransomware virus in their network) allow the user to go back and retrieve a specific moment in time to recover the whole computer or all of the data that existed then. That way, clients will lose a very minimal amount of data and they can get back to work as soon as possible as well. Otherwise, they know and we all know that once the ransom virus is executed on a network, it won't be possible to recover anything unless you pay the ransom and/or do other stuff. It won't be possible for you to get all your data back.

When they give you the Endpoint Security solution, they also include the feature like Application Control and Interaction, which is also a very good security feature for users.

They have a very good reporting system and they have a very good dashboard for the administrator, which makes monitoring everything easy.

What needs improvement?

From a business point of view, it's not likely applicable to them, however, I've noticed that they have separated out a few features which they used to support as one package. For example, they used to have DLP solutions in the Endpoint Security as well and they had sandboxing capabilities too. Now, they have separated it into a different solution or a separate cost. They are offering the DLP and sandboxing features with the endpoint as an add-on solution. I'm sure it makes them more money, to be honest. That said, if they had all of the features in the same product, it would be both helpful and put them far above any other competitor.

The solution needs to lower its pricing.

I've been using the solution for 12 to 14 years.

The solution is very stable.

I have been using it for a long time. I have seen it grow over the years and now I can say that it's a mature and very stable product. Over that period of time, I haven't seen it declining in any way, either from a support or a technical side. They have been improving it day-by-day and year-over-year.

Every year, they bring on some new features.

It's not a very new product. You don't have to go and explain every single thing about it or try to convince the other person, due to the fact that, in the Pakistan market at least, they have captured about 50% to 60% easily.

They basically have four different editions for Endpoint Security and they offer (from lowest to highest) Core, Select, Advanced, and then Total. You can scale it from the Core to the Advanced and to the Total anytime you want to. It's very easy to do so.

We've dealt with technical support many times. They are very active and very responsive.

I've used Trend Micro for two years and I'm also still working on Trend Micro these days.

We just started using it regularly about a year ago, due to the fact that the brand came back very strongly not only on a product-level but with their support system as well. They are making inroads and a few of their products are very good and tare gaining popularity in the financial sector.

In their endpoint solution, Kaspersky has taken out their DLP features from their product, however, Trend Micro has DLP solution in their product, which gives them an edge. Kaspersky, however, gives you the option to use it on the premises or the cloud.

I wouldn't say that the initial setup is very straightforward and very user friendly. However, it's not very complex either. With a little bit of training and a little bit of education, anybody - any engineer, any IT person - can handle it. Of course, that's once they get used to it, it becomes very easy for them.

If you talk about end-to-end deployment, and, for example, if you have 100 users on the network, it take about six to eight hours, or one day, to deploy everything. Therefore, if you have a bigger number of users, for example, about 500, then it takes about a week.

When I say about a week, it means that after deployment and installation of every single computer they have on their network, they need to still do the fine-tuning. Typically that means waiting for it to mature and fit into their network. Just a deployment without all of that taken into consideration may be just two to three days. After that, we give them two, three more days to see if there is any need to fine-tune the system or the administration perspective. That's how we calculate about a week's worth of time.

If it's a small network, up to 500 users, one expert technical person is enough to handle the implementation.

We tend to handle the deployments for our clients.

Depends how you look at it, since we have secured our environment using kaspersky, we are saving lots of money by not getting crashed or getting our network hack or let any one penetrate it for foul purpose.

Their pricing is quite high.

Yes, we have tried TrendMicro, Sophos and Mcafee.

What other advice do I have?

We are vendors. We actually sell this product to our clients. We also use it on our premises as well. We do the R&D of all the products we use as well.

While many clients preferred the on-premises solution, recently, the trend has changed a little bit and most clients, especially after this COVID situation, have started working remotely from home. With that being the case, clients are now more inclined towards the cloud solution.

The solution can work easily for any size of business, from small, say for even from a single user, to an enterprise level. We have clients who are about 8,000 strong and we have a client who has got only 10 users and they are all happy about it. It's pretty much for everyone.

The advice I can give to other companies is this: they can believe and trust in Kaspersky's tech. However, we always advise our clients that, before they implement and deploy the product, they should learn about it as well. They should learn about how to manage the product, how to do the small stuff and to not rely on the vendors all the time.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More Kaspersky Endpoint Security reviews from users