Katalon Studio Review

A simple installation with good video tutorials and great stability

What is our primary use case?

For Katalon Studio we tried using it for record and play tasks. We could test it on Windows and different operating systems, such as macOS.

What is most valuable?

I did a small POC and during that time I found the product to be very easy to use. I'd describe it as extremely user-friendly.

There's a lot of information that is readily available on the internet, and therefore it's easy to learn about the product itself.

The scalability of the product is good.

The solution was quite stable throughout the time I used it.

We found the installation process to be quite simple. There is also very helpful online documentation that can help you if you ever get stuck during the implementation process itself.

What needs improvement?

As of now, the product has a complete packet and they could develop more on it. It definitely could improve the interface as well for mobile. While I didn't use it too much while I was working with the solution at the time, I am using mobile a lot now, and I see how helpful it is to have a good interface in place.

The price of the solution is a bit high. It's one of the reasons we decided not to continue using the product.

I didn't use the solution for very long. I did a small POC for about one month or so.

The stability of the solution was quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is great.

The solution is quite scalable. If you go ahead and use the paid version, you can expand it as you need to.

At the time, we had eight to ten people using the solution, however, we are no longer using it, and therefore do not have plans to scale or increase usage.

I personally never dealt with technical support. We had a team member in DevOps that would sometimes touch base with them. I can't speak to any personal experience, however.

We have used, and continue to use, an in-house automation tool. When that company developed our SIEM work, we built custom SEIM for work in Java and Selenium.

We simply tried Katalon as we were using different operating systems and we wanted to try a solution that worked across them.

The initial setup was not complex at all. The installation was very easy. The configuration, as well, was very straightforward. There are videos online that really help in walking you through the process. If you get stuck at any point you can watch them and they really help navigate you through the process.

I can't recall exactly how long the process took to complete.

In terms of maintenance, basically, there was one DevOps employee who was doing everything related to the maintenance part. We also had a manager heading it up. We were basically in different scrum teams and we were working on the same product. We only needed one person to look after everything and manage it as necessary.

Originally, we did pay a licensing fee, however, the company decided not to continue with the product in the end. For us, it was too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

On Katalon I didn't work much. I did a small POC and it was just for one month. After that, I switched back to our native and our custom in-house automation tool.

We didn't deploy it on the cloud due to the fact that initially, it was freeware, and then it got paid. At that point, our company was not interested in investing that amount of money into a new product when they had their own custom-built solution. They were parallelly building the automation framework in Java and Selenium. They're using test engines for reporting. Going forward, we will be using this framework and not Katalon.

I would recommend the solution to others. I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

6.3
More Katalon Studio reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with SoapUI Pro
Learn what your peers think about Katalon Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.