kCura Relativity Review

Kepler is a great technical feature for those working on development

What is our primary use case?

We are currently creating a product that is dependent on the Relativity API from the development side, using APIs to do e-discovery or reports on documents that are being reviewed and managed in Relativity. We base our product and the communication on our test servers and gather the information to determine its reviews and other metadata. We use that information to generate additional and more improved APIs. Our clients are wanting to use the docker installation of our product on their own servers.

How has it helped my organization?

We have based and organized our product to fullfill the Relativity Development Requirements.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature from my perspective are the Kepler. It's a component that is more technical and directly related to the development companies that will be using it. It allows you to create custom APIs. You can communicate and gather most of the information that is not available in the standard API that they offer. This feature adds to that as a positive component, enabling you to create your custom APIs.

What needs improvement?

I think there is a lot of room for improvement because we have encountered a lot of bugs especially on the development side. I think they are working hard at trying to improve this for the future.

I've been using this solution for three years.

This is a stable product. Sometimes their services don't work correctly and processing requests can be difficult. There are some things that need to be improved in the stability but I think they already know this and they are working towards fixing it.

The solution is scalable and allows you to expand the service in different servers and nodes but if you are using an older version, then it creates load balancer issues with development partners. We currently have around 10 to 12 developers and QA working on our product with Relativity.

Technical support is very helpful when they engage. A lot has changed with Covid, so staff are working from home. I'd be happier if they were responding more quickly, particularly on major issues. In general, their communication is perfect and they do what they can to help. There is a time difference between Albania and where they are, it's around five or six hours, and that also creates delayed responses. If you install the product when they're not around, you might have to wait several hours.

The initial setup was very difficult. If you're not trained, you need a lot of support from them. But things have improved with the setup although it is still quite difficult. We needed assistance from support because of the complexity. They now offer training or certification for administration, and this is something worth considering before installing. There are different parts to the deployment but it can generally be done in one day, perhaps a little more.

Currently we have a development partnership license.

What other advice do I have?

We're learning every day, exploring it as we go. There is a lot of information that's not available in the documentation and not explained, so I would recommend going with the certification. We came across issues that we didn't know about previously and the support was unable to solve because there are parts that they hadn't explored yet. Sometimes Relativity hasn't had experience with the issues that have come to the surface so it's better to have the certification.

They're constantly trying to improve the product so I would rate it an eight out of 10.