Ybbfxxpg 400x400

Kentik Review
Provides NetFlow visualization and analysis tools. The data explorer allows access to data grouped by any variable.

Valuable Features

Kentik is a mature software product and is provided as SaaS. This is very valuable to me, because I don’t have to maintain a server, worry about resources, updates to software or OS, hard-drive space, or backups. I can just use Kentik to get the data in the format I want, such as reports or ad-hoc information.

Good NetFlow visualization and analysis tools are valuable to anybody who needs to understand the traffic that flows in and out the network.

This solution helps with planning, security, and troubleshooting. Kentik’s data explorer allows easy access to all data, grouped by any variable. You can do a quick overview of the top ten users or peer performance with very little effort.

Improvements to My Organization

One of our Network Operations Centers has a large overview screen with a web browser that shows Kentik and the data explorer running. This provides a constant overview of live traffic sorted by the source port.

We use Kentik to monitor the network and get alerts from its alert module if there is a DDoS or other attack on our network.

Kentik is constantly improving. I have seen their alert portion grow this year to include a new Beta that allows you to use automatic mitigation with multiple platforms.

Kentik is used when customers call in to troubleshoot their internet service and to decide on new peering partners.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see more granular user and security rights. Currently, a user can be a member or an administrator. I would like to limit what a user can see, be it IP or interface. I would like to be able to give my customers access to the data explorer with just their data.

Use of Solution

We have been using this solution for about a year.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The technical support is very good. Emails to support@kentik.com are answered quickly and competently. Kentik keeps in touch, listens to feedback, and cares.

We used multiple NetFlow products. Kentik shines with the ease of running reports and looking at data.

I was involved in the installation. The setup was easy. Exporting NetFlow records is all that is needed. I also setup a BGP session with Kentik. This allows Kentik to see the AS path and to record it with each record as well.

ROI

The benefit in our case outweighs the cost. We use Kentik at the core of our network, which provides us with a central and detailed view of our traffic.

Other Solutions Considered

We have used open-source options such as NfSen and SolarWinds.

Other Advice

I would suggest giving it a try. A demo can be set up in no time. You can see for yourself whether or not you like it.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Kentik?

Our experts can help. 239,537 professionals have used our research on 5,962 solutions.