Kerio Control Review

Keeps our public and private networks separated and protected from any intrusions from the outside

What is our primary use case?

It's the firewall and the router for our network. That includes both the public side and our private side as well.

How has it helped my organization?

We were having issues with feeling more secure. Keio Control has made me feel like our network is more secure. Also, the VPN feature was easier to manage and assign to different users. There's no more downtime with our VPN. It just works.

Kerio Control has saved time for the members of our team who manage security.

We've increased the amount of clients that use VPN. It's very easy to manage and very easy to setup. All we have to do is set them up with an account and then download the software to their computer. It just works. There has been a 50% increase.

What is most valuable?

The intrusion prevention is good. I like the fact that it's always up, it's always secure, and it never lets us down, never locks up. It just works.

As a firewall, it keeps our public and our private networks separated and also from any intrusions from the outside.

In terms of the comprehensiveness of the security features, it does a great job of laying out what it does. It's fairly easy to edit and research. Some of the features were turned on by our IT company and I was able to easily find other features on my own by searching for videos on the internet. I've been able to block certain websites, content filter, as well as manage some of our bandwidth because we live stream on Sunday. I'm able to dedicate bandwidth for the encoder that goes to the internet. It always has enough bandwidth, no matter how many people are on the network. That's really helpful.

It provides us with everything we need in one product.

Because of the reputation of Kerio as well as all of the great things my IT company recommended, it's easy to trust a company like this for our intrusion prevention and for our security. It's really easily laid out and it just works.

The malware and antivirus features keep themselves updated once it's turned on. You don't really have to worry about anything. It scans all the incoming email and it scans for web traffic. It just works in the background. You don't even know it's there until it finds something.

The VPN feature works great and it's secure as well. I'm impressed with the speed at which it works and how easy it is to access over the VPN.

What needs improvement?

There were certain things I didn't know about it, but I've always been able to just contact our IT company. They've been able to walk me through certain things. It was quite a monumental task to set up a public site. Support really had to help me with setting up the VLANs and walk me through it. It was not possible for me to figure that out on my own, but that's what they're here for. That could have been a little bit easier laid out.

I have been using Kerio Control for two years.

It's extremely stable and the uptime is incredible in terms of how it stays connected, and we have had no issues in over two years of using it.

It can scale and grow as we grow. It has very impressive features. It is a little bit of overkill for what we use it for. But I think it's worth it. I really do. I don't mean for it to sound like a negative. I chose it on purpose, even though I knew it was a little bit more than we needed. Because of the security features and because of the reputation that it had coming from our IT company, I really saw no other option.

Only I manage the device and I'm head of our IT department.

We have roughly 10 VPN users and 20 or so computers. Then we have at least 75 to 100 devices that connect to it at one time on a Sunday. That connects to the internet and it's able to handle the traffic and the bandwidth management perfectly.

It's more than adequate for our size of business. I know it's made for larger companies than ours, with more employees. But it works very well for us and it's easy to manage. It's robust and very consistent.

I've only had to use technical support once and it was on a VPN. They updated the VPN protocol and I had a question about it. They immediately got back with me. It was easy to deal with them. They immediately had the solution that I needed.

Our previous solution was off-brand. We upgraded because it did not have enough bandwidth to support our faster internet speeds. That's the real reason why we upgraded. It was not able to have a VLAN and a second LAN for our public site. That was another reason why we upgraded. We didn't feel it was as secure as Kerio.

The initial setup was straightforward, with the exception of the VLANs, and setting up a second LAN. Other than that, it was straightforward.

The deployment took two hours.

The IT company went through and showed me all of the settings and gave me a tutorial on which features I needed to use and how to turn them on and what they meant. As far as the rest of our office staff is concerned, they just needed the VPN protocol setup. I was able to do that on my own because that was really straightforward and easy.

They set it up for me. They plugged it in for me and then explained all of the features to me and helped me set up some of the features. I was then able to easily find videos online and some instructions to set up other features that I wanted, like content filtering.

Having seen the process, I could easily do it again without their help. I just needed a little bit of a push from them.

We have seen ROI.

I would encourage other people that when considering pricing, you really have to think about how important your network security is and how you're going to save time in the long run on managing your network. It's worth buying a product that's top-notch and the best quality. Your network is worth it and your employee's security is worth it.

We also looked into Ubiquiti UniFi system and decided to go with Kerio.

Kerio ended up being a much better solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Kerio Control a ten out of ten.

NG300
More Kerio Control reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with SonicWall NSa
Learn what your peers think about Kerio Control. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.