Kerio Control Review

Software appliance allows for quick recovery from hardware failure

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is a UTM (Unified Threat Management) router.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution gives me confidence in the ability to quickly recover from hardware failures.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about Kerio is that I can use the software appliance as a solution, so if the hardware fails for any reason then I can quickly replace it with hardware that I have in stock. Typically, I use a Dell OptiPlex i5 desktop or small form factor.

What needs improvement?

Their support is getting better but still needs improvement. I had been using Kerio products for quite a few years before GFI purchased them.  What liked about the support was that the people you contacted were actually using the product in their homes, they played with the product and broke it and fixed so understood it well. GFI support folks at the first level are script readers and point you to documents you can find on the support website. For me, I have gone down that path already when I opened a ticket.

I see they have phone support now, but I have not used it.

I cannot think of any features that are needed at this time.

More than five years.

This solution works. The only issues are hardware failures.

With respect to the scalability, I have it running in five-person offices and in fifty-person offices.

The technical support was very good originally but fell short when GFI took over. It is now getting better.

I switched from SonicWall because, at the time, they did not accurately report the throughput of the router when all of the UTM features were enabled. Also, setting up the traffic rules was not as easy as Kerio Control.

The initial setup for this solution is very easy.

The implementation and deployment is something that I do myself.

I do not worry about the ROI. I just need something that works and protects.

My advice is to use your own hardware and do not use theirs.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I use the product and i am partner.