Keysight Oscilloscopes Review

The application utilities loaded on the scope help debug different protocols

What is our primary use case?

I use it with connected devices, like IoT, in the lab to validate, verify, or design.

With this scope, we are measuring: Internet signals, media signals, PCIe, USB signals, and some other low-speed serial interfaces.

How has it helped my organization?

The DDR Utilities that I have used on the scope speed up my debugging process. Similarly, I use the serial decoder for the serial interfaces, which helps me debug my product quickly.

What is most valuable?

The application utilities loaded on the scope help debug different protocols.

I like the Keysight user interface very much. It's based on the PC model. So, that's why we are using the PC all the time. We don't need to remember anything, as everything seems familiar.

What needs improvement?

Everybody is looking for more automation support, so that if they can incorporate more protocols. It makes it easier.

People are always going for higher bandwidth and better probing solutions. It needs more flexible probing solutions, especially for the complex ICs.

Cost is also a factor on one of the DDRs. I was trying to buy an interpolar so that I can hook up all the probes and have them rerun one time. However, that was quite costly. If I had to do a single or double debugging, then I maybe would spend time soldering each bar rather than using that because it was costly.

I do plan to take advantage of the upgrade whenever we are having an upcoming project as it's really good. Then, I don't have to buy new equipment. I just need to upgrade it.

We use it with about 900,000 CDs.

We sometimes utilize the full bandwidth of the product.

The technical support is very easy to reach. I have contacted them a few times regarding the feature usage. These were for additional compatible solutions that I needed to purchase, and they were always very responsive to my requests.

While I don't have transparency on the pricing, it works within my budget.

We evaluated Keysight, Tektronix, and Anritsu.

We trialed Keysight and learned about the tool. We learned that we would be able to make use of it in the way that we were envisioning, and it supports all of those things that we wanted.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very nice product. Whatever feature that I was looking for, it was within my budget. It was affordable. I can upgrade it later, if necessary. Plus, if something with an initial option was going out of my budget, they offered to give me something like a refurbished model. This made it worthwhile because the other option I explored was way beyond my budget, and I simply could not get approval for that additional amount of money.

Always reach out to the area manager or application engineer to show your interest. They are able to hook you up with the right technical application engineer, who can understand what you are trying to do, then recommend what are the best possible solutions and give you a demo for you to feel comfortable. It is also good for them to show you the features.

While it's more intuitive than other scopes, there is a little longer learning curve. I do consider it quick to learn.

It is targeted towards embedded systems and controller cards, like USB and PCIe.