KNIME Review

Allows me to integrate several data sets quickly and easily, to support analytics

What is our primary use case?

All analytics individuals use KNIME to integrate multiple sources of data (SQL, excel, etc.) and prep the data for static reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to automate several functions which were done manually. I can integrate several data sets quickly and easily, to support analytics.

What is most valuable?

• Visual workflow creation
  • Workflow variables (parameterisation)
  • Automatic caching of all intermediate data sets in the workflow
  • Scheduling with the server

What needs improvement?

The overall user experience feels unpolished.

• Data field type conversion is a real hassle, and date fields are a hassle.
  • Documentation is pretty poor.
  • User community is average at best.

Less than one year.

It is pretty stable.

Partially, only with very large datasets (10M+ records or so); its reliance on RAM is a bit high for normal PCs. Servers should be fine.

Not applicable (not local in South Africa).

Alteryx. KNIME is much cheaper. The KNIME desktop client is free. KNIME handles 95% of our requirements.

Straightforward.

KNIME desktop is free, which is great for analytics teams. Server is well priced, depending on how much support is required.

Alteryx.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a seven out of 10. It's very useful but needs polish and improved UX and UI in several areas.

For quick adoption, either get KNIME to provide training, or have a local knowledge expert on hand who is well versed with data workflow tools, and databases if necessary.

1 visitor found this review helpful