KNIME Review

Clear view of the data at every step of ETL process enables changing the flow as needed

What is our primary use case?

We use KNIME for two main reasons:

Automation: The main purpose of our utilization it to run scheduled workflows (such as CRM campaigns, business reports, etc.) on a recurrent basis. We have created ETLs to automate most of the recurrent tasks and we let it run via batch files.

Ad-hoc business cases: We leverage KNIME flexibility in order to query data from our database and manipulate them for any ad-hoc business case, before presenting results to stakeholders.

How has it helped my organization?

In addition to leveraging KNIME flexibility to query data from our database for ad-hoc business cases, the product is very easy to understand even for non-analytical stakeholders. Sometimes we provide them with KNIME workflows and teach them how to run it on their own machine. In some particular cases, my team builds the workflow and then we hand it over to the stakeholder, who can run it on his own by inserting a variable or changing a few settings in the workflows.

What is most valuable?

• Easy to connect with every database: We use queries from SQL, Redshift, Oracle.
  • Easy to have a clear view of the data at every single step of the ETL process, with the consequent possibility of changing the flow according to your needs.

What needs improvement?

I think the data visualization part is the area most in need of improvement.

Three to five years.

What other advice do I have?

I’ve been using KNIME for more than four years now. I started using it in the company I was working for in Rome (Paddy Power Italy), then I moved to headquarters in Dublin (Paddy Power Ireland/UK) and started using it for their business. Eventually, I moved to the United States and started using it for my current company (TVG-Betfair) and it is currently the main analytics tool in both our offices (New Jersey and Los Angeles).

I would definitely rate it a nine out of 10. I am very happy with the product and it would be hard to find something better in the market.

1 visitor found this review helpful