Kong Enterprise Review

Easier and more unique to use compared to other platforms

What is our primary use case?

We define our enterprise architect and Kong has been selected as an API integration layer solution. We deploy in some of the markets if they're ready to go, and some of the markets are not really ready because we have 10 different markets at the moment. It's an API integration layer so that we can expedite our microservices to the market.

What is most valuable?

In our buying companies' perspective, it was easier and more unique to use compared to other platforms. The markets were pretty familiar with the solutions.

What needs improvement?

It can be our personal, our company's issue, but when we were doing separate projects, we were facing a lot of solutions. For some of our major projects, the API was not using Kong as a group platform. Sometimes they use Microsoft Azure or AWS. That's not a problem, but I think it's wasting some of our budget. We set Kong as an enterprise standard. There should be an easier way to integrate with other solutions, even though it's the same API solution layer. Comparability will be a good improvement.

We implemented it around May time.

It is a stable solution.

Compared to other products, I think it's pretty scalable.

I think we have around 100 users.

Our plan to increase usage depends on the market deployment plan. I think we should because we just started that journey last year and it's ramping up at the moment. We do have a plan to increase the manpower.

I would rate their support a seven or eight out of ten. I'm pretty okay with the technical support.

We previously used Axway. We switched to Kong because of its reliability and scalability.

We have a lot of other platforms that we're using as the API integration platform, but from the enterprise architect's perspective, Kong is the standard.

The initial setup was relatively okay, but it depends on the market. Some of the markets we had easier solutions to deploy but we had trouble with some other markets we had trouble to make them understand and go through the legacy systems so that we could link different layers to Kong's API platform. The difficulty depends on the market.

What other advice do I have?

The dependency on the legacy has to be very minimal so that you can leverage your new platform or integration layer and it will be easier to build up to scale. I think those parts are the important ones you have to think through.

There are so many new technologies, and I think at the moment low-code is very popular to use. If we get into the no-code or low-code aspect, sometimes coding can be easier. If they can provide relevant no-code or low-code service to the customers, not making the process very complex, I think that will be the main winner for the platform service providers.

I would rate Kong an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud