Kryon RPA Review

Process Discovery gives us a framework and outline on how to make automation work from end-to-end

What is our primary use case?

We use it for rapid process automation, but we also have Process Discovery. We use it for billing and collections, business administration, and insurance.

How has it helped my organization?

We have some idea of what we wanted to start with. We have been able to expand on that since embracing Kryon a bit more. We originally went into this solution knowing there were some processes which were extremely manual and wanted to take on automating. Once we got into using more of the advanced commands, we got through with some of our first, second, and third wizards, then we were able to take a step back, and say, "Here are all the functions that I've now learned to work with. I want to put them into higher level of development." We were able to expand the idea of something very simplistic, a three or four-step process, then move it over to a 50 or 60-step process. Because of those advanced commands, we could condense them down, which was something we didn't know at the time would be a reality.

Kryon has helped our existing workforce embrace the digital transformation of our organization. We now have people who are more interested than ever in moving over to digital processing. We are able to focus on key components of the business which can't be processed through automation.

We have seen some significant drops in employee errors. However, your data is only as good as what you receive. Errors have reduced by 80 percent based on the processes that we have automated by the sheer fact that we don't have people touching so many of them.

We have been able to streamline some processes just by using RPA. That has improved them.

What is most valuable?

Its ability to work with multiple platforms within the same application or "wizard". Some of the SQL functionality has also been extremely helpful. All of our platforms are homegrown. We don't use an out-of-the-box software, which makes our availability to using RPA software suites pretty limited. Then, you have a product like Kryon which is flexible. We use PowerBuilder as our application building codex. Kryon adds flexibility when we have the functionality of SQL, where we can take sets of data out of the back-end and run complex computations or do a bunch of data validations inside the wizard. It can save us sometimes dozens of steps, then if we were to try and do those same reviews using the user interface completely. The balance that we get from using Kryon RPA, alongside being able to screen scrape and frequent screen, gives us an advantage that we haven't had previously with any of our other attempts at robotic process automation.

Kryon Process Discovery is a very exciting thing. We are rolling it out to approximately 100 VM machines, but we will be using it comprehensively for the next few years, as long as we can get it rolled out here soon and start gathering more information. It's been a very exciting thing for us here at LTCG.

We haven't finished rolling out Process Discovery. We only have it on three computers right now for the test environment. However, one of the most complex tasks that we are using two full-time employees to do was have it record and monitor these employees, along with all its variations, and how they are working through a process. We then exported that from Process Discovery into Studio. Now, instead of starting from scratch on a process that a developer wouldn't know, we have a framework and outline on how to make that work from end-to-end.

What needs improvement?

The read from screen functionality needs improvement

We still do a lot of stuff in the user interface. Finding UI information and split UI need improvement.

I would like them to add more functionality from Excel, especially when you pull data from Excel.

We've had a lot of good success using this solution for the full-cycle of automation from the discovery of processes to turning on the automation and scaling it up. We would like to see having a little more specific documentation, or some of the examples be easier to find. One of the big things that we get directed to now is the Kryon Community page, but a lot of that wasn't in existence or publicized when we started doing our training and education. Now, we're stumbling through using it. For the majority of the time, we have either had to try and interpret what the instructions meant or do a service desk ticket.

I have had two people go through the online training. My feedback would be that they need to focus a bit more energy on that. I would like to see that online training be a bit more comprehensive in the projects that they create, so we can say, "Here's what we have," or, "Here's what we need." I don't know if maybe they should sit down and try to develop "training" documents as well. Or, like dummy wizards, where you have to copy and paste this wizard, start from scratch and learn these steps, then you put it together to make it work, which would be similar to what we did with the in-house training.

They could add a bit more to the online training too, since it's still relatively new for us. We don't have a "dedicated" team of people who do this. This has been a learning experience, because we only have a limited number of people who can dedicate hours to it.

We have been with Kryon for two years.

It is a very stable process. It has been a learning experience for us. We have learned to make some changes in our system to add stability that users were experiencing. They were experiencing the same instability issues that we were having. RPA shed that light. We've made some changes structurally to our IT and business processes to avoid that in the future.

We have seen bugs and had frustrations. When we've done software upgrades, or opened service desk tickets, things can get frustrating because of a slow response. There might be a system outage, where we weren't informed of it until everything at our site went dark. So, we have had growing pains.

Scalability is still a possibility for us, as we will probably need more of the solution in the future. I don't have any concerns about scalability at this time. We do have plans to increase usage.

We have two attended machines, because we have such a low demand for it right now. However, we do have nine unattended machines that run daily. We average about 1200 to 1300 wizard runs a month.

We have five developers, all from different subsets of the business. We have some that specialize in finance, account management, or those of us who came from more of an IT background (or a more structured IT role). We have a good mix of of SMEs with some IT mixed in there.

Kryon's technical support is very good. They made some core changes that have improved the solution over the last two years.

We have used other RPA tools previous to my time at LTCG. None of them were successful after the original deployment. Therefore, we decided to wash the project. While I don't remember the name of the software, the reason they were unsuccessful is because of the language that our user interface is built in.

The initial setup was complex for us, but that was, in part, from the way we operate at LTCG. I wouldn't put that on Kryon.

From start to finish, the deployment was four months.

We did the deployment all internally.

We do upgrades three times a year for both Process Discovery and Kryon RPA. Essentially, we have a structured team set up who opens up in a project, then we start reporting against the project. We try to get all the requirements built, but it all runs through me. So, I run it as a type of the project manager. Then, we deploy the upgrade alongside the customer review team. It is not as rigid as some other projects should or could be.

We currently have four total users from IT, who assist us in maintaining the Kryon server, Process Discovery server, and upgrades for deployments, which includes security and overhead. There is also my role, which is just performed by me.

We've more than broken even over on the license. Year to date, we are at $120,000 in savings.

We have been able to alleviate two FTEs, which was a big savings for us. We were able to reuse those resources in other locations. It is over 5000 hours a year in total savings.

We were able to reduce our processing speed in time by 65 percent. That is just simply by using a robot versus a person.

Licensing costs are about $100,000 a year without any additional costs.

We had requests out to four vendors: Kryon, UiPath, Automation Anywhere, and Blue Prism. Kryon did not end up being the most financially inexpensive, but it did make the most sense based on the ability of having business users develop, not IT people. The product bridges the gap in terms of ease of use for business users with no tech background, compared to a UiPath or Blue Prism. With those solutions, you have to be a .NET developer to use them. Kryon allows people who are business-oriented people to use it.

What other advice do I have?

Understand that you need to have a very well-documented framework of what you plan to automate. Not necessarily the idea of, "I want to automate this task." But, as a company, don't be narrow-minded to believe that these are the only tasks that we can automate. You'll find that there are a lot of groups which are doing things that you may not know of that you can automate very quickly. Be very open-minded when you start working with the solution, because you'll find that a lot more doors are open than you originally anticipated.

As with anything in software suites, you are always going to have challenges where people didn't know something was a function or didn't know this is how that worked. Kryon has a good start in trying to bridge that gap between the developer, who would look at something, and go, "Yup, I can pull a lot of this data from SQL, and I just need to click these buttons," versus someone who doesn't have a technical background.

There is still some growing to be done. It is necessarily the product that has been the problem. It has been necessarily some of the responses that we have gotten from Kryon itself.