Kubernetes Review

A good and simple user interface; lacking direct technical support from the company

What is our primary use case?

We are platinum partners with Oracle and we are preferred partners with Microsoft. I work for an organization which is on both sides of the coin. We are a service integrator organization. We don't have a specific loyalty, we blend in and provide the services. I'm a solutions architect.

What is most valuable?

I like the interface of this solution. When you're using it in real time, it seems to be a little easier to use versus the other options.

What needs improvement?

If you're using the solution on the desktop, you eventually have to download the Azure package and install it before you can actually use the Azure commands in Kubernetes. There are more community packages that have been released, rather than releases by Kubernetes. I understand that it's an open server and people can contribute to it, that's how it works. However, sometimes people get misguided and that's where we need some support. It would make a difference.

I've been using this solution for almost three months.

It's a pretty stable solution. We have about 40 plus people who use it.

I would turn to community support as a first step. The blogs, which cover it, have given me a little bit more insight in terms of how and what and all of that. But when it comes to community, I've not asked much, but I've learned from it. I've watched some videos and see there is some online free training. I haven't been in a situation where I needed external support from Kubernetes.

We used to use Dockers. We explored Kubernetes because we want to do market platform, which is basically a show or an article together and we wanted to use a single platform for both Oracle and Azure. Not that Dockers didn't do it, but we did kind of wonder what would be the better option.

The initial setup was relatively easy. I mean I've obviously used some of the apps before, but this seemed to be a little easier for me. I think when I used it in the Azure implementation earlier this year, it didn't give me too much heartburn although it takes a little bit more than you expect. I can just start the QP CDL and push out the command and start it. If I'm using it with Dynatrace, it's the same thing, but when it came to deploying the package into the local machine and then running it, and then trying to get the right connection within Azure it was more difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend going through the training to see what the limitations are within Kubernetes. There's not a lot of training, but what training is available should be used so people can understand the difference between Docker and Kubernetes. If somebody has used Docker previously, they can see the difference even though the methods are the same. It's the same madness, but it will help you to better position things like command line interfaces.

We had a bit of a struggle when I was trying to implement it in Azure. But if you look at the Oracle implementation, it worked really well so I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Microsoft Azure