KVM Review

Open Source Virtualization that works with Linux

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution in my home lab because I don't know this solution well enough to put it into production. I have many clients, and by putting KVM into production it would require several changes, which would require more experience.

In the meantime, I will continue to use VMware and ESXi.

I use both on-premises and cloud-based deployment models. I typically use this solution on the cloud because I have many dedicated servers. However, I also use it on low-powered hardware machines, like old laptops, to create a firewall, access the router, or use as an access point.

What is most valuable?

I like that this is an open-source solution. It is very powerful, and it's easy.

When you install Hypervisor with KVM, you can transform it into a server with the graphical QEME in minutes, then look at what you have and remove all graphical things and then you can restore what you had originally.

What needs improvement?

The virtual manager and the graphical QEMU for KVM need some improvement.

In the next release, I would like to see some changes made to the dashboard as it would be nice to see some icons and some graphics when you are showing this solution to clients.

MOP made some changes to the dashboard, but it made it more difficult and it's a bit complicated. Maybe this was done intentionally because this is an open-source solution with technical support as an additional fee.

I have been using this solution for more than three years.

This solution is very stable.

It's straightforward and recoverable, it's easy to do anything.

This solution is scalable. Ubuntu is the best version to scale because with the MAS you can set load balancing, and they offer a free account to manage the load balancing for up to ten servers.

Currently, I am the only user.

I haven't contacted technical support.

I have been using VMware, ESXi, and Linux and will continue to use them while I get more experience with KVM.

The initial setup is straightforward.

There is a lot of information available online. You can do it all by yourself, you just need the time and the will to do it.

This solution is an open-source, free platform with paid support.

What other advice do I have?

You can virtualize anything now, but in my experience, they are good for Linux and Unix systems. I have also used Windows.

Even if you are using another platform hypervisor, as I do with VMware, you may get yourself in a situation where you want to install the KVM or at least the key tools. You can access RAM drives, or broken virtual hard drives, or migrate them to another type of hard drive.

KVM is very complete, it is very powerful, but people are used to graphical QEMU and that is an issue.

The solution performs well and has many tools. It offers everything that all other paid versions have. Everything is in your hands, all you need is the internet to access all of the information on KVM.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More KVM reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware vSphere