Layer7 API Management Review

The tool can handle complex security requirements. On-boarding APIs is agile.

What is most valuable?

I was doing all B2B integrations. The security features provided by the gateway are really cool. The tool can handle all complex security requirements. On-boarding APIs is very agile and fast.

How has it helped my organization?

In my last position, the core services were exposed to the consumers via the ESB layer. They had plenty of issues with protecting those services and keeping the back-end services hidden from their consumers.

Using this tool helped them to provide a unique endpoint, with no change to the consumers. It allowed them to change their services without affecting the customer interfaces.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see this amazing product have the following enhancements:

• Continue integration and delivery (10 points)
    Currently the tool provides REST APIs, but they are not easy to use. They need to be reviewed and enhanced. The documentation is good, but there are not enough examples.
  • Monitoring and reporting (20 points)
    The Admin dashboard provided by the tool is amazing. However, this doesn't allow the service owners to view their services. The gateway admins are always struggling to provide reporting and monitoring status. We need to provide monitoring and reporting out-of-the-box for the management and service owners. We can do custom development, but not every company has time to do so. The Admin dashboard is not business friendly and it doesn't provide rich reporting features.
  • RAD - Rapid Application Development - Development environment (5 points)
    The policy editor, at first glance, seems complicated and it scares developers. I would like to see it easier to understand. Maybe it could have a visual drag and drop, like with Borland C++ Builder.

We have been using this solution for eight years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

There were scalability issues in Amazon AWS, but not in the private data center.

Technical support is agile and responsive.

We weren’t using a solution previously, but alongside of this tool, we were using Apigee Edge and 3scale API Gateways. Each one of them is designed for a different purpose. We were looking at them as complementary products and not as replacements.

I was involved in the installation, and it was easy for me.

We evaluated MuleSoft, Apigee, and 3scale.

What other advice do I have?

CA API Gateway provides rich policy sets in regards to XML and REST services. This baby is great for all B2B integrations and it’s a very agile component to set up and use. You can set it up with complex security requirements on your service side in less than an hour. (I am very biased about this. No product can do that at this speed.)

More Layer7 API Management reviews from users