Layer7 API Management Review

Cyber security and having a centralised API management platform is very important.

What is our primary use case?

We use this as a Cyber security appliance and also as a centralised API management platform for partners.

How has it helped my organization?

We've got all sorts of threat protection in the API Gateway, from DDoS through to SQL injection and things like that. These are standard features that we use within policies that we drive out the Gateway.

We've got a security policy fragment that we know is consistent across all the APIs we expose via the gateway. Also, as it's a fragment, we can add to it at any point, as new vulnerabilities are discovered, which will then secure all the services/apis that use it. This gives us greater agility and confidence that our APIs are secure.

What is most valuable?

Security is the fundamental use of the gateway so the security assertions are heavily used and are consistent. We also use it to broker asynchronous messaging across DCs transforming between messaging technologies to provide real time updates for customers in a really secure way.

Also, the actual management of APIs is fundamental to us, as we're a heavy API user/provider. So, obviously, a centralised management platform is important.

What needs improvement?

We have cases open around the SQL injection capabilities that need improvement. Cross-origin resource sharing policies need to be made a common assertion in the Gateway, that's not there at the moment out of the box (although it is available as a policy fragment).

The developer portal needs to fully supported SOAP services (including WSDL publication with security), it would certainly push adoption for us.

Verbose logging in production has caused us a couple of issues, never enable this in production! In addition pay attention to name servers for DNS.

Scalabillity, like most things, is in the hands of your own business to implement. The gateway is flexible and can be scaled to the level you see fit. Be aware though, verbos logging will bring your platform down in seconds, so only use in non-production environments.

We have a few cases open. I'd say I'd give an average rating of around 7/10 for technical support. Some people have been very helpful and others not quite so.

We use Microsoft IIS in other areas to expose services against a load-balanced cluster. So we have these bulk security components within it. They've never been compromised but we thought we'd would add an off-the-shelf security appliance to add an additional layer that also comes with API management capabilities.

The setup was complex, definitely complex. As above, don't underestimate the effort required to build a HA/FT instance of this for both the Gateway and the Developer Portal. Be aware of additional licenses for your warm standby. Ensure you get plenty of non-production licenses.

Both. The vendor team seemed technical enough. Note: Ensure that your in-house teams and the vendor supplied staff are fully aligned to make deployment efficient. Deploying the gateway platform is a full project and would need managing as such.

There has a been a lot of confusion with pricing and licenses, especially around the number of cores. In addition, don't underestimate the effort required to build a HA/FT/DR instance of this for both the Gateway and the Developer Portal. Be aware of additional licenses for your warm standby. Ensure you get plenty of non-production licenses.

I don't remember all the evaluated options. We reviewed, it must have been six or seven, maybe more, API management vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that, although the Gateway is geared up for managing SOAP services, the developer portal isn't. It's a gap for us, which means the developer portal isn't quite as good as we thought it was going to be for managing SOAP services ( which we have quite a lot of). They're not discoverable in the portal, as are RESTful services.

More Layer7 API Management reviews from users
...who compared it with Apigee
Learn what your peers think about Layer7 API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.