Layer7 API Management Review

Gives us insight to the original view and tells us how much data there is

What is our primary use case?

We've been using it to program intermittently. There's a problem with one version, which saves pretty slowly. Now it's good. Then we found that this is cheaper. The advantages include the coding, as well as getting emails and alerts from them.

How has it helped my organization?

I mostly used it when working in the banking sector. There are many bank connections going on every day, especially during the holiday season, which can be kind of tough. We need to straighten the books, which can include how much money came in, how much money was lost, etc. If the information is not there, there will be a problem. We needed a program to keep track of the data.

This solution gives us an insight to the original view. It tells us how much data is there and it provides manuals to use it. So the technician office is there and it gives us some data. For the moment, we can change anything in the software, like enlarging it for example.

It improved our organization because it gives the management data to discuss for the next course of action and it suggests what to work on, as the next thing.

I published APIs in the CA environment also. That's very good. I haven't done it in my workspace on a personal level, but it's a good thing. I have already published APIs with other solutions, but there is a bit of a difference and that is good for CA. CA is better than Apigee because CA allows you to make changes and is a little generous in terms of where to go with the project. It's good.

It's very good at supporting a large number of APIs or transactions. The transport of APIs is needed. Everything in CA is very easy for developers, because when a developer logs he can view it right away. With other systems, it isn't as easy. I like this. It's going up in the market.

What is most valuable?

I think it's very valuable because of the support desk in one application. It protects us well. That is very important.

In terms of security, it's mostly been enough until now. I had used them in my local work. I was playing with them and saw that they support everything. It's almost all covered so far.

What needs improvement?

From the last version, they have added more dashboard support, but there is still a lot they need to improve. The thing is, on the chart you can set it to forty seconds or one minute. That's fine, but if you hold any request it should be clear on the graph. For instance, on the dashboard of the graph it should be written around it. It should say, this is the response time here, etc. In terms of monitoring, it's almost all covered. The interface can be improved, though.

I've been using this solution for two years.

It's really stable. That I can assure you. That is the one thing which I have to fight for with my managers because they ask why we should not move to a different solution. They said another solution is more stable. I told them that they are looking at the market analysis. We should test it ourselves. It's a really major banking project that we're working on.

Scalability is really good because it's very easy to create new users. It's really good.

There are 43 people using CA. We will use CA to its maximum capacity. It has become very popular in my office.

I never needed to use their technical support. If you need it, you could chat with the online support team. That's it.

We used Apigee and API Connect. I found that CA is more stable than the others. When you are deploying code, you also need the previous versions. With CA I can track all the changes. It's more stable and reliable.

The initial setup is simple. If you are a novice it could be complex, but if you are good at working with computers it should be very simple. It takes about seven or eight minutes, including configuration.

All we have to do is consider our code and environment for the applications. For instance, what things are going to happen.

We used three people for deployment. One is project development guy that we might move because development is getting smooth nowadays.

We currently have 18 people, of which seven are developers and three are in management. So there are eight people in back-end maintenance.

You can imagine that we are in a gem mine. It costs money to supply the equipment and then we can get 45 gems. It's difficult to know the ROI until you get the gems out.

What other advice do I have?

I would say implement it. If you are new to APIs and things, you won't understand it, but if you have some experience it will be okay.

I would rate this as eight of ten.

More Layer7 API Management reviews from users