Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series Review

Excellent FlexCone feature, but the solution needs better licensing options and an simpler setup

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is to renew the IT infrastructure for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The FlexClone feature is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a simpler licensing theme around the DM series. The problem is if you only need one of the features, you still have to buy the whole thing. The licensing needs to be more granular or flexible so you have the option to only license FlexCone or Inline Compression features.

I've been using the solution for eight months.

So far we haven't had issues, but after eight months it may be too early to comment on the stability of the solution.

We haven't tried to scale this early into using the solution, so I can't say too much about the potential to scale it.

We previously used the V3700, which is also from Lenovo. The product was at the end of its life which is why we switched.

The initial setup is very complex.

We had a consultant help us with deployment. We also tried to get in touch directly with the partner, Lenovo.

Main Thing is, to look for the Need of your customer! It ist very very important to know where HIS pain Points are. When he Needs a completly ready storage without any thinking about licences or something like that maybe nimble will fit the best. When he Needs more flexibility about scaleability, and superior featureset of already proven Storage Solutions maybe Lenovo DM-Series would match better.

HPE Nimble, HPE VSA, VMware VSAN, Lenovo DE-Series

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution six out of ten.