Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Review

It is easy to set up and has a single dashboard for upgrading different views and devices

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution without any errors on the main boards or other systems. We are also using the storage of Lenovo, that is, V7000. We have 30 VM machines on the servers here, and we are using SP1 scalable processors.

We are buying all the things to use from Lenovo. Everything comes from Lenovo, that is, hard drives, racks, memory, and processors.

What is most valuable?

The IMM tool is great because we can upgrade different views and device versions very quickly. We can upgrade everything from a single point through a single dashboard, which is great for us because we also have Lenovo storage. Lenovo ThinkSystem also has Xclarity built into the system.

What needs improvement?

HP has a riser inside, but Lenovo does not have a riser. It would be good to have a riser with Lenovo. The GUI of the system is really bad. HP has a very good UI for smart memories and everything inside, but in Lenovo, we have a black-and-white UI.

HP right now manufactures a server with scalable SP1 and SP2 on a single machine, which is not the case with Lenovo. They are changing the machine. For SP 1, there is one server, and for SP2, there is another server, which is really bad. In HP, we can use two models of processors in a single case. Lenovo should also be improved to have SP1 and SP2 scalable processors simultaneously on a single machine. They should not release another machine. This issue is also there in H3650 severs. They are all inside, but only V3 CPU or only v4 CPU can work, whereas, in HBG9, we can deploy V3 and V4 simultaneously.

Lenovo also needs to advertise more because I can't see advertisements anywhere.

I have been using this solution for more than four years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We are deploying the servers for our customers. One of our customers has about 100 people working in the factory.

I got support for a license issue, where I made a mistake in typing the serial number because of which it wasn't matching. Their support was really great. They edited my serial number, and I could get the IMM license very quickly.

It is not complex. It is easy for us. The deployment took less than a week because we know what we should do. In four or five days, we had deployed it into the server. HP is easier to deploy than Lenovo.

The licensing cost is the same as HP. It doesn't have any additional cost. However, the price, for example, for the memory option, does not match other vendors such as HP or Dell. They should work on the pricing of Lenovo. It is a great competitor, and it should compete with the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers a nine out of ten.

More Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE ProLiant DL Servers
Learn what your peers think about Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.