Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Review

Stable, easy to install, and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

It's a large virtualization environment where our students and our researchers have all the machines running and it's realized with VMware.

What is most valuable?

We appreciate the stability of all the machines.

The easy mountings are convenient.

We have some direct connections to IBM and Lenovo, as well as other companies. They offer us very good manufacturer support. Technical support has been very good and we've been satisfied with the level of service we get.

The solution is very simple to install.

What needs improvement?

There are so many features, it's difficult to even use them all. Therefore, I don't believe there are any features that are lacking.

From our side, our budgets are really not there. The availability of cash is a little bit limited. We buy as much as we can, If it was less expensive, we could buy more.

I deal with this solution about once a year.

The solution is stable. It's very reliable. There aren't glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale quite easily. If you need to expand it, you can do so rather easily.

We have about 1,000 people on the servers that we have. They are all students and researchers.

We'll continue to use this product going forward.

We've had a good experience with technical support. We have some direct channels there. With Lenovo, we also have a mainframe on our site for demonstration purposes. We are lucky to have a direct connection to the engineers.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward.

Deployment times vary. If students are doing it, it might take a little bit longer, however, if we handle it ourselves, we can do it relatively quickly.

It's difficult to count how many people we have on deployment and maintenance duties as they're all part-time. We have about four to five full-time equivalents.

I am part of the consulting team. The work is done by some assistants or to teach a student as I'm a lecturer at the University.

The cost is a bit pricey. We'd buy more from them if we could, however, we are on a limited budget.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Lenovo.

Normally, we are not using the latest version of the solution due to the fact that they are too expensive. We are a university and we have to look for how much money we use. Therefore, often we end up buying some refurbished machines or some equipment from IBM, from Lenovo, etc., which we get at reasonable prices.

Everything is on-premises and we have our own private cloud with these machines.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a nine.

More Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers reviews from users
...who work at a Educational Organization
...who compared it with HPE ProLiant DL Servers
Learn what your peers think about Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.