Liferay Digital Experience Platform Review
I value the portlets, OSGi modularity, and the tools for developers.

What is most valuable?

I really value the out-of-the-box features (portlets/application), OSGi modularity (in the last version), and tools for developers.

How has it helped my organization?

We needed to rewrite a legacy application written from scratch with much less developer resources. Liferay was a great choice. It had a big learning curve in advance, but it had great results in the end.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better documentation. Updates in the documentation do not follow updates in the code and functionality.

I have used it since version 5.2, in 2008.

There were some scalability issues. Finding a good infrastructure setup is not an easy task. Some scalability issues can arise when changing database engines, since Liferay supports different databases.

I didn't use technical support.

What other advice do I have?

It might sound trivial, but plan all the project phases, in terms of infrastructure and performance testing, well.

Liferay starting from DXP redesign the full software architecture using OSGI (actually since 6.2 is integrated but just for small integration points). With this new design, they gain the possibility to updates released version more frequently and also "components by components." From a point of view of a developer this is a great improvement by the way after first general available release. Liferay also released public documentation, allowing developers build custom plugin and general customization. This documentation gets outdated in different parts after some new release (GA2 ,etc).