Linode Review

You have complete freedom to configure it anyway you want

What is our primary use case?

We use Linode in our projects. We have one Linode, and it is quite straightforward. We have one Linode provisioned, which is running on the LAMP stack.

We are using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes the LAMP stack easier to manage. We just send one command, then automatic updates and security patches happen. We then just use some source code control, like GitHub or Bitbucket, which has helped us because I feel their prices are quite competitive. Sometimes, we need a lot of test applications to show things, do PoCs, and have test sites. So, it doesn't make sense for us to go with the big cloud solution, which is expensive. This way, you don't need to spin up some test sites or test applications for PoCs for just some UAT type of things. This has helped.

What is most valuable?

I like how if you are an older developer and have some development experience, then it is very easy to get to the foundation, which is cool. Then, you have complete freedom to configure it the way you want. Also, Linode is fast.

It is very focused and doesn't have a lot of features. For example, it doesn't have the complete DevOps pipeline. You can configure it directly using UIs, configuring the entire pipeline and even your project management, which is what we get in something like Azure. It is good to have that focused approach.

For small businesses and people who have some technical skills and are good with Linux command line, this solution is great. I love Linode because it is very fast. Whereas, the same configuration on Azure and AWS will be so slow. The best thing is that their pricing and speed are great.

What needs improvement?

While Linode works well for people who have some technical experience, e.g., I am good with Linux and very comfortable with the command line, I can understand how people who are not so comfortable with the command line probably prefer a lot of feature-based cloud services.

I would like Linode (without cluttering things) to provide some type of DevOps workflow where people are configuring their pipelines from running their tests and deploying to their test server. Once approved by clicking a button, it just gets deployed to production. I would like something like Azure DevOps, which we use for large applications, and would be something nice to have in Linode.

I have been using it for the last two years.

It is very stable. We haven't had any issues.

Scaling up has been easier. We just scale up the node, then it scales up. One thing is if you want to scale up, then you cannot scale down. I have tried that a few times because we have certain seasons in the year where no one is using the application. So, I tried to scale down, but Linode doesn't allow that. However, scaling up was quite easy and fast.

Our applications are currently being used in Southeast Asia. Our clients are region-focused and very rarely will we have an application used outside this region. Performance-wise, it is more important how you build your application than having data centers everywhere unless it is a very high-end application. However, we don't have those kinds of applications, where thousands of users simultaneously work across the globes.

We are set for scalability because we have small businesses and don't need a very high scalability, where we have something like Kubernetes or one of those high-end, complex scaling pipelines. We have not needed those things. We just have to scale the node, going from two CPUs to four CPUs and upgrading the RAM.

We are using it for small applications and are happy with that. However, there are no new projects on the horizon, so we are just maintaining the solution.

The couple of times that I have raised tickets, they replied within a day or two, but I never had an emergency situation. Their support is good.

We came across the solution through Linode's advertisements. We used it for the free trial period, liked it, and purchased it.

I didn't have any problems with the setup. It was quite straightforward and easy. Basically, you select what you need, then they give you access and you go on from there. It took 10 to 15 minutes.

Once you set up Linode, then you have to install some basic things. You install your source code software, like GitHub, with your application source code. It was quite straightforward.

I did the deployment.

I am the only person who uses and maintains Linode currently. Someone else looks at the other cloud solutions.

I have been using it for two years. Linode compared with other solutions must have saved us around $300 to $400, max.

The pricing and licensing are good. It is very straightforward and simple. I would like more options, e.g., if I want to upgrade my Linode right now, then I have to double it. I would like another option than that.

Linode is not as expensive as Azure and AWS. I feel that Linode is able to give very competitive rates. I find other providers, like Google and AWS, expensive.

Its price-to-performance is better than other big cloud providers, like Azure, Google, and AWS. It has saved us money. While their rates might look the same, their servers tend to be slow. So, if you want the same speed as Linode in other big providers, then you need to go for a higher end solution and the costs will double. I think Linode's rates are good because the performance of their servers are good.

I just pay for the server and other things that I use, like their object storage. There are no hidden costs.

Once you open a new account, they give you some free credit. We used that free credit and liked the solution. So, we went ahead with it.

We use Azure a lot for our big business applications. Usually, we end up comparing and seeing things over there, determining how Linode would have handled this. I have tried out Linode analytics. Mostly, for innovation, we look for that in Azure with their side pipelines and DevOps.

We looked at DigitalOcean, but never used it.

What other advice do I have?

They try to give you the basics, They try to remove complexities, keeping the platform as basic and simple as possible. That is why the system works very quickly. This is a good model to take forward and better than going with the shared systems, like GoDaddy, because you have total control of what you want to install, upgrade, and where you want to apply security. You have total control over the server. Other shared systems don't have this because they are slowing due to sharing your sources. So, I really liked this model of Linode.

If you have some confidence or experience using the command prompt, then this is the best thing to go for. If you have the technical expertise to manage the server directly, then this is the best thing because you will save a lot of money, not going for a higher end, like Google or Azure. You will save money and get better performance. However, if you don't know how to manage the server directly, then you might have a hard time and need better support from Linode to set up your servers. Other than that, it is the best choice.

I would rate Linode as a nine (out of 10).

More Linode reviews from users
...who compared it with DigitalOcean
Learn what your peers think about Linode. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,163 professionals have used our research since 2012.