Linode Review

Reliable stability and customer support, simple to use, easy to get started with and to scale

What is our primary use case?

We are using Linode for hosting a website.

How has it helped my organization?

Linode has given us free upgrades as far as memory and storage space, so that helped us to be able to expand without any extra cost. Also, their support and stability have made us feel reliable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the domain settings page.

The documentation is good.

I like the overall simplicity of their interfaces and their website. Everything worked as I expected and it's easier than I thought to get started with.

The stability and customer support have been very reliable.

What needs improvement?

The suitability of this solution depends on the features that you need. If you're an Uber-sized company then you're probably not going to want to start using Linode. If you are a large-sized organization then you're going to want to start using one of the bigger providers that gives you the scalability and the feature set that you are probably going to be needing in the future.

I have been using Linode for approximately 14 years.

They made it easy to upgrade the server to migrate to a bigger one very easily. Basically, there was no work on my end. I just had to choose a server to upgrade, then they automatically did it. That aspect was really good.

It is only me that works with the product. I have one server for the website and then I have another server for the database. At this point, I don't plan to increase my usage.

With respect to features, I see Linode as a better provider for smaller companies. I don't know how scalable they are compared to AWS, or whether they can scale with a faster-growing company.

The support has always had a pretty fast turnaround, they have good security, and they are very descriptive in their documentation for the resolution of solutions or problems.

Support has exceeded my expectations versus AWS.

I have also used AWS and I feel like if I had a problem, I don't have to worry about waiting for a response. This is unlike the case where I need help from AWS. With Linode, they have more personal support.

I have also worked with Google and Microsoft Azure. The large providers have a lot more features, compared to Linode. Linode is good if you just have a smaller setup or just need a few servers, but if you need to do something like offline storage, then AWS and Google have a lot of special features that not everybody needs. I see Linode as a solution for smaller companies.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. I recall reading the documentation on how to secure a server and getting set up was straightforward. They had really good documentation for that, so it was fairly easy to use. The deployment took about an hour.

The value for the price is really good.

The pricing model is simple compared to AWS, as you know how much you've got to pay every month.

My impression is that I save money compared to what I would pay for other cloud providers, although there is no way for me to approximate a dollar value. I pay the same amount each month and I don't have to worry about getting a surge of traffic and having to pay extra for it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this service is to do their research, as it depends on what you need. They offer Linux in a way that's similar to DigitalOcean. Linode is one of those companies that's fairly easy to get started with, but if you have a bigger company or you're going to grow faster, you might need to consider a bigger provider. It just depends on your needs.

In summary, this is a very good product but nobody's perfect.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Linode reviews from users
...who compared it with DigitalOcean
Learn what your peers think about Linode. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.