Loadbalancer.org Review
Reliability and high availability; allows us to seamlessly failover or do maintenance

What is our primary use case?

Load balancing Exchange, print servers, our call desk software, and SharePoint.

How has it helped my organization?

It means that if one of our mail-servers falls over, it's a much more seamless process. Or if we need to do maintenance on one of them, we can take it out of the Loadbalancer in a controlled fashion so that users don't notice that there's been a problem, or that maintenance is going on. They continue business as usual. It's made end-users' experience much better.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
  • High availability

What needs improvement?

At the moment, I can't think of anything. For what we use it for, it does everything we need it to. It does it well and it doesn't have any trouble, so I can't think of anything that I would change.

More than five years.

No issues with stability. The only time we ever take it offline is when we do firmware upgrades on it, but that's in a controlled fashion. In seven years, we've not had any unexpected downtime at all.

When you do a manual failover, no one seems to notice it. It's a seamless thing, which obviously helps.

We have about 30,000 connections going through at any one time and it's fine, it doesn't seem to sweat. It doesn't get overloaded.

With this company, it's the best that I've experienced. They actually phone you back.

This is the first one that we bought, and it's the one we stuck with.

It's not complex. They provide very helpful guides on their websites for the things that we load-balance. We just followed the guides which were accurate and easy to follow. They're pretty good from that perspective.

While it's increased our uptime, we don't really justify cost as time - if that makes sense - so it's difficult to quantify.

We've got an unlimited license, which doesn't costs that much compared to other vendors, and we don't have to buy it again. The other thing they did was they gave us a free virtual appliance, so we paid for two and got three.

Buy what you need, or a little bit more than you need. Like I said, we've not had any trouble with them, we've bought the unlimited appliance and we're just using it, and we've not hit any limits.

We evaluated a couple of others and then decided to go with Loadbalancer. We evaluated KEMP, Zen, and F5.

What other advice do I have?

I would say, go for it. It has proved to be a pretty reliable system, it hasn't let us down. Try to break it.

We've never had any trouble with it. And when I've had to speak to support about firmware upgrades and things like that, they either do it for you or they give you guides and it just works. It's probably few and far between, with regards to things that actually do what it says on the tin. There's a lot of stuff out there at the moment that says it does everything but it doesn't. This is one of the few that actually does it.