Loadbalancer.org Review

Their pricing scheme is easy and inexpensive

What is our primary use case?

We load balance our customer billing and information system, as well as our Exchange services with it.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a requirement for these applications to be load balanced. Without a dedicated load balancer, we would have had to use a Round Robin DNS, which does not have any health checking, notifications, etc. We now get notifications when pool members go down, and we eliminate our downtime by not sending traffic to downed pool members.

What is most valuable?

A load balancer is a load balancer, in terms of functionality. I need the interface to be easy to use for my team members who have not spent hours working on it, so I am not the only person who can operate it.

What needs improvement?

I would like a notification when a new version of the software is available. They told me to sign up for their newsletter, but I have not received any notification for a newer software version.

Less than one year.

No stability issues.

Not yet.

Their technical support is one of the best experiences that I have ever had. We have even had a need for custom health checks, and they have really risen to the challenge.

We have used F5 in the past. They are incredibly fantastic, but they are so expensive. We went with LoadBalancer.org because we did not need the bells and whistles of F5. Also, we did not want to pay the premium price.

For someone who has never set up load balancers before, I can attest that if you familiarize yourself with the concepts of load balancing (and their documentation lays out these concepts very well), you can set up one of these in a matter of an hour. It really is an easy process.

Since the load balancer appliances are comparatively inexpensive, I imagine they have given us ROI. We paid significantly less for these than we would have for their competitors. However, since the systems we load balance were new systems, it is hard to measure the ROI.

It filled a requirement for our project, and it did so at lesser cost than their competitors.

It is inexpensive, and even their “unlimited” version, the VA MAX is still far cheaper than competitors. I love that they do not price on some arbitrary throughput rating where you are guessing at what the load balancer is going to handle. These guys make their pricing scheme really easy.

We proceeded a long way down the road with F5, then decided to go a different direction shortly before the production environment was built.

What other advice do I have?

For load balancers, these guys are perfect. If you need a lot more bells and whistles, you may need a more expensive product. Tell the sales guys at Loadbalancer.org your needs, but do your research. Set up a trial device. Make sure you do not need a more full-featured product. Loadbalancer.org is improving their product all the time, but know what you are getting into.