LocalDB Review

Good for the development process, generally stable, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution during the development process. When our developers need to connect to the database during an application's creation, they install LocalDB on their development workstation and use it to connect.

How has it helped my organization?

This tool help us build apps quicker and faster.

What is most valuable?

Database Engine which is compatible with on-premise and cloud release.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to create a management tool. Right now, the solution has tools for creating a local installation, but it's too simplistic. We need something that's a bit more complex so that we can extend the tools with our scripts.

Technical support could be quicker to respond to tickets.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable. Occasionally. we play with newer versions when they are available for us. In these cases, sometimes it's not stable. However, when we use the production version of DB, it is very stable.

Currently, we have a team of 25 using the solution.

Technical support is good. We don't have any problem with technical support from Microsoft, especially when we're talking about support for Azure services. It's very quick. When we are talking about on-premise solutions, however, sometimes we must wait for a few days for issues to be resolved.

We sometimes use different products, including MySQL, among others, especially during the deployment process.

The initial setup was simple.

Our team handled the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We've used the solution about 100 times across a number of different projects. We're currently using the 2014 and 2017 versions of the solution with an on-premises deployment model.

We're partners with Microsoft.

I'd recommend the solution for those looking for something to assist with their development process.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.