LogicMonitor Review

The most valuable features are the way it scales, and the fact that I can monitor anything that I can get to without having to worry about agents.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

I've been able to get monitoring up in considerably less time than I've been expecting with any other tool that I've used. The support team has been also very helpful when it comes to adding new devices and other assets to be monitored, far more than I've gotten with other vendors that I've worked with.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to improve the monitoring of the center, and, in all honesty, it would be helpful to provide things like setup scripts that help you get the client side up and running.

For instance, let's say you're asked to provide the next day with setup with SMOP, or something similar, to simplify the online process. It would be nice if they had a known, defined data source and scripts or something to let you configure the interests of that data source in order to increase the speed with which you get online.

I've used it for six months.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It's been mostly stable. We've learned a lot of new stuff so we have our problems, frankly, but no more than we have had with any other product.

We had no issues scaling it.

With the in-application support engineers, they are very good at helping in general. A lot of times, like with engineering and the problems that I've been having, they've always addressed every problem that I've had. The chat line is very good, but I do wish that they had a support phone number.

I have used Nagios, vCenter Operations, CA Nimsoft, and Spectrum.

It's more complicated than it needs to be unless you have a very simple environment, mainly because getting all the client side stuff together can be difficult if you don't know what you're doing. It's generally pretty easy if you follow the instructions. They have reasonably decent help information about all their different collectors, so you can go through that. It would be nice if there was more of an "idiot mode."

I set everything up myself with their help when I had trouble.

Right now, I'm not doing that much but we've only just gone live a couple days ago. In a couple of months, I could give a better answer. But it's definitely no less onerous to maintain than my previous monitoring product, which was Nimsoft.

What other advice do I have?

When evaluating it, make sure you give them a clear idea of what devices you want to monitor because they have a lot of additional monitoring endpoints that they haven't publicly released yet that are as stable. And make sure you have the ability to analyze, because unlike most modern tools, you have to worry about the client being the bottleneck for the collector in this case. Make sure you understand how to monitor collectors to see if you need to scale back, especially if you use a lot of scripts.