LogicMonitor Review

Valuable Features

It serves two different major values for us. We're an MSP organization and we manage many clients' networks. One of the big values is the ability to dive into a client's network super quick and to able to see exactly what's going on. Say you get a client calling in and saying, "Hey, my SQL server's slow." We ask, "When did it start?" Then we can easily hop into LogicMonitor and look at the entire networking environment to see if there's any issues with their switches or routers, or their ESXi cluster environment for host issues, or their Windows environment to see if there's any issues with the Windows servers themselves. Not only can it do that, it also has very detailed SQL metrics. That's one big benefit -- a super quick ability to get a very high level overview but also being able to get really granular with it whenever that ticket comes in.

The other major benefit is its alerting, all of the data sources that it can work off of, and how quickly it is to roll out to scale. It’s super easy to install, it’s super easy to configure, and the alerting is dead on. A lot of times we know about issues before the client even knows about the issue.

One of the big advantages of LogicMonitor is, I can monitor everything out-of-the-box in fifteen minutes. There's very little customization I have to do to get on the client's environment. There are some things that I try to monitor that LogicMonitor doesn't have any data sources for, so whenever you go to monitor a device it matches a whole bunch of criteria and applies the data source. Say I had a data source on a Windows server and I want to monitor CPU disk usage, network interface usage, memory usage but it detects a faulty domain controller, it will monitor the replication, chain server, etc.

Improvements to My Organization

It really helped us improve our ability to quickly troubleshoot issues which helped us with our SLA, our ticket response time, and our ticket resolution times. If a client calls and says "the server's slow", that can be a whole bunch of stuff: internet, network, host environment, server environment, etc. LogicMonitor can consolidate the issues down for us so we can quickly see what the exact issue is. So it allows a help desk technician to be able to quickly troubleshoot calls as they come in.

Room for Improvement

They have recently started rolling out their new user interface which I like, but it's a big change and I'm still getting used to it. The only thing they can really improve on is getting more data into the devices that they monitor.

Use of Solution

We've been on it for quite some time now. I'm going to say probably about a year and a half.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It's absolutely rock solid. We've had no issues with stability.

It's so quick and easy to scale. We went from not having the product to having 500 hosts or devices monitored within two or three weeks. Now we are up to nearly 700, so scaling is no big deal. A 600-server environment would take me five days to scale.

The only support that I've dealt with is just chat support and it is absolutely stunning. I'm in the tech industry and I deal with chat support all the time. Sometimes you get very green guys who know just enough to help you and if they don't know then they have to go and ask someone. You're waiting on hold for a long time or you're in a 20 minute chat session waiting for somebody online. With LogicMonitor support, that's probably my second best thing that I can compliment them on.

Their support is absolutely phenomenal, it's great. They don't really have a phone number that you can dial-in to, it's really just an online-chat based or ticket based support. I've only done chat-based support and it's been super quick to get answers and everyone who's on it knows what they're doing.

Our big trigger was we just didn't really have a good all-inclusive monitoring solution. We have a couple of RMMs, our Remote Manager Models, that we use to control all of our client's networks -- remote control patching, auditing, baseline, stuff like that. Most of the network monitoring you just kind of add it in there and it was never really focused on and it was lackluster. We felt like we were spending a lot of time trying to resolve tickets and exploring a lot of SLAs.

One of the big things that we wanted to be able to see was the clients’ networks as a whole without having to open up six different servers or having to open up six different products and different windows. We wanted a quick, single pane of glass where we can hop in and see what's going on.

It's super straightforward. Before we decided to get LogicMonitor, we looked at a couple of other products and one of the big things for us was we needed a cloud-based type of monitoring because we don't have just one network on a big server. We have two to three hundred clients spread across United States. We have a five-user network all the way to a two hundred-user network. We needed it to be able to have a product that could sit on the client's environment without additional hardware and have a single pane of glass to see all of our clients in.

Because other monitoring solutions we were looking at looked pretty good, but they didn't have that single pane of glass. I would have to remote into a client server and then get into the monitoring software and look at it, as opposed to just being able to hit a WIP address from anywhere in the world and see every single one of my clients and every single one of their devices.

Other Advice

Spend some time and dedicate practice with it from the very beginning. It can do as little or as much as you want it to. It's so easy just to add a device. You put in an IP address, you put in credentials, and that's it. Then from there you're monitoring seventy different measures, but there's a lot more that you can do to it. This is actually something we've been doing in the last three months. Whenever we first started LogicMonitor, we added the basic stuff -- clients, servers, switches, routers, stuff like that, and as time went on, we discovered that "Hey, there's a lot more stuff that we should be monitoring. We should be monitoring access points, we should be monitoring UPSs." Now after two months, they started monitoring our clients' LAN connections through different vendors, such as AT&T, Windstream, and Comcast. They are able to give us access into their routers and we're able to monitor them through LogicMonitor.

It's so refined, it's so quick, it's never went down. I think that I definitely deleted probably half of our devices and they had me restored in thirty minutes. I can't say enough good things about LogicMonitor, and I am a raving fan. To be honest, if I were to go another job, it would be hard for me to leave LogicMonitor in the same network field. If I was going into another networking field monitoring networks, that would be a huge point for me.