LogicMonitor Review

It reduces the amount of time that needs to be devoted to the administrative overhead of monitoring.

Valuable Features

I believe that LogicMonitor's most valuable feature is that it drastically reduces the amount of time that needs to be devoted to the administrative overhead of monitoring. As a result, the time we spend interacting with LogicMonitor is time that produces real ROI.

Improvements to My Organization

Prior to our LogicMonitor implementation, "out-of-the-office" access to the visibility monitoring systems provide required a frustrating and unreliable mix of VPN, RDP and/or VDI. LogicMonitor's UI and mobile app are orders of magnitude more efficient and effective at enabling us to respond anytime and anywhere.

Room for Improvement

As I previously said, LogicMonitor matched our use-case requirements almost perfectly; I can't think of a significant, top-line, glaring inadequacy. In addition, LogicMonitor seems to be particularly driven by customer needs; and seem to spend effort only on those things that customers define as valuable. If I had to pick something, immediate and direct phone access to support would be nice but existing support is not insufficient.

Use of Solution

We are currently utilizing LogicMonitor's service using a mix of GD and EA versions of their collector component. We predate their distinction between Pro and Enterprise Service Tiers. I have been using LogicMonitor for slightly more than 18 months.

We have not experienced any issues with either collector or UI stability.

I believe scalability issues will result from any poorly-planned and poorly-executed deployment, regardless of the product, service or vendor involved. That being said, some of our hardware is known to have characteristics that make it difficult to monitor and that fact combined with a number of other self-imposed constraints on our deployment has at times required an unexpected level of attention.

LogicMonitor support has been responsive and effective. I have found their documentation portal to be better than most and their feature request and customer forums contribute significantly.

Previously, we have supported monitoring functionality with a collection of vendor-specific tools along with both SolarWinds and WhatsUp Gold deployments. That combination no longer met our use-case requirements and was not delivering the level of service we wanted.

Initial setup was a relatively low-effort exercise and "Out of the Box" LogicMonitor works as advertised. That is not an excuse for thoughtless deployment. Effectiveness, efficiency and ROI will all be in direct proportion to the amount of time spent developing a deployment and operation plan that supports your use-case and predefined priorities.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Don't confuse cost with value; spend your time and money according to your use-case and predefined priorities.

Other Solutions Considered

A wide-ranging initial list of products and vendors was developed. That was refined in multiple exercises to reach a much smaller list which we felt best met our use-case. That small list includes, but isn't limited to SolarWinds, WhatsUp Gold, ManageEngine, OP5, Kaseya, Up.Time, PRTG, Groundwork, Zenoss, and SevOne.

Other Advice

I would say that LogicMonitor matched our use-case nearly perfectly, and was the best at meeting the functionality that we prioritized most highly. Take full advantage of the regularly scheduled training webinars and the library of other instructional materials. Good monitoring is very difficult and requires constant engagement. If you believe in "set it and forget it", "there's an app for that" or the "easy button" you probably should have a different role in your organization.