LogicMonitor Review

Provides richer and consistent monitoring. There are more users engaged in monitoring our environment, across the organization.

What is most valuable?

1. Device monitoring
  2. Service monitoring
  3. Dashboards
  4. Custom service creation

How has it helped my organization?

Richer and more consistent monitoring. We are no longer concerned with keeping the monitoring infrastructure itself running. There are more users engaged in monitoring our environment, across the organization (not just IT/operations).

What needs improvement?

The reports are still fairly weak. Custom reports add some flexibility, but having a more direct/rich access to both the configuration state and alerts needs improvement. Better integration with push-based tools (e.g. StatsD). That's the direction monitoring is going, LogicMonitor needs to get on-board in a real way, otherwise we'll need to supplement them with tools like Circonus, New Relic, etc.

We've used it for three years.

There's nothing significant. Occasional feature release have impacted data somewhat, but so far alerting and functionality have remained stable.

It's been able to scale for our need.

It's pretty good, and is sometimes great. However, I have come across two issues. New support people aren't trained as well as they should be, so I sometimes get unsatisfactory answers depending on the support person. Also, the wait times for chat/support response go up from time to time. This seems to be just a scaling/staffing issue.

We previously used a homegrown solution based on Nagios. We had to do a lot of infrastructure rebuilds of our own core serviced, and we didn't want to rebuild and support monitoring services on top of that.

It's pretty straightforward. There is some complexity in understanding how to best build a custom monitoring solution for our own application.

I've found the pricing to be reasonable so far. I generally tell people who question it to consider the cost in people/time to maintain and support a 24x7 monitoring service.

Circonus was a contender, and we also looked at simpler solutions like Pingodm. At the time of my purchase, LogicMonitor hit the sweet spot of functionality and price.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have a plan. LogicMonitor won't do much here, but getting up to speed is pretty easy. Still, especially if you're moving from one monitoring system to another, have a well defined plan with a timeline to help transition you over.