C5 jiyud 400x400

LogicMonitor Review
The dashboard display provides at-a-glance problem detection.

Valuable Features:

• Monitoring and alerting combination
  • Ability to run scripts of multiple types
  • Data presentation format

The dashboard display for all of the alerts and monitoring data is a great approach to creating a NOC, because the info is so up front and easily digestible. Basically, it provides at-a-glance problem detection. Coupling this with the ability to run VB script, PowerShell, bash, et al. from the collector itself, can make for situations where you can automatically remediate errors as they come up.

Improvements to My Organization:

We currently use it as the basis of a network services product line. It allows us visibility into all the devices we cover in a centralized location. It allows me to monitor, alert and backup the devices under its purview.

Room for Improvement:

LogicMonitor functions as a centralized, cloud-hosted dashboard for alerts and SNMP/WMI monitoring. They have a function that allows you to remotely connect from that dashboard to network devices you are monitoring by tunneling through the collector on network (the device that sends SNMP data to the cloud dashboard). It’s a Java-based solution and it doesn't always work, it will sometimes not load. So, while the portal is wonderful for monitoring and alerting and the way the data is presented (easy to read, bright, etc.), it would be nice if the remote access function was more stable and, instead of it being a legacy add-on, it became part of the product suite. This would allow me to remediate issues the software alerts on without having to connect to a VPN and then SSH to the device.

Use of Solution:

I have used it for about 18 months.

Stability Issues:

I have not encountered any stability issues with the program or the collector devices.

Scalability Issues:

The product scales very efficiently and adding large amounts of devices with the Netscan tools takes just a couple of clicks.

Technical support is very good, and if you want to add a lot of customization, they are happy to work with you and even go back and develop a solution for you and help you implement it. The flexibility of the product is massive, and the support team is right there with you trying to squeeze out added functionality.

Previous Solutions:

I previously used SolarWinds, which just seems too large and overly complex compared to LogicMonitor.

Initial Setup:

Setup was easy; they provision it for you and then remote in and help you get started.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Pricing is extremely competitive, and is cheaper than the other solutions I've looked at.

Other Solutions Considered:

We evaluated and demo’d both Auvik and SolarWinds.

Other Advice:

Dedicate time and a resource to it, have them do the training and take the LMCP certification test (online). It helps to know SNMP and SNMP traps.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About LogicMonitor?

Our experts can help. 233,024 professionals have used our research on 5,881 solutions.