LogicMonitor Review

Leveraging its service monitoring tools, we established remote monitoring for external web services. I'd like the portfolio of pre-packaged services to expand quicker.

What is most valuable?

• Rapid provisioning of reasonable baseline metrics for APM
  • Off-site monitoring
  • Synthetic monitoring
  • RESTful API

How has it helped my organization?

My team was recently in a situation that required disruptive maintenance to the college’s firewalls, and we needed a mechanism to verify that external web services were operational once the maintenance was concluded. In the past, my team would communicate with stakeholders across the college and request assistance certifying that services were restored to operation once our maintenance completed. Leveraging LogicMonitor’s service monitoring tools, we were able to proactively establish remote monitoring for nearly 200 external web services within 24 hours. Having the data collection in place prior to the maintenance not only reduced the man-hours required to perform the maintenance, it simplified the establishment of a consensus regarding the maintenance window and allowed us to schedule the necessary maintenance in a shorter timeframe.

What needs improvement?

The portfolio of pre-packaged services that LogicMonitor can monitor does not seem to be expanding very quickly, and there isn’t a quick or easy way for self-service expansion without the same amount of development that would be required for an on-prem solution like Nagios. They are also in the process of transitioning from an RPC API to a RESTful API, and the functionality on both is limited.

I have used it for three years(ish).

I have not encountered any stability issues. Any maintenance windows are communicated in advance.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is very responsive and generally able to answer questions, although I haven’t had to use it very often.

I tested a few other SaaS solutions, but I went with LogicMonitor for reasons that are lost in a pile of notes from three years ago. I think it was largely because of support for major infrastructure components like NetApp, Cisco, and VMware.

Initial setup was simple.

It’s expensive.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated Scoutapp, New Relic, and a few others that I’ve since forgotten.

What other advice do I have?

Our organization has traditionally relied heavily on on-premise monitoring solutions like Nagios or Zabbix, but our technology needs were growing faster than our payroll. We evaluated moving to a packaged monitoring solution such as SolarWinds or Foglight, but we didn’t want to sacrifice the flexibility that FOSS monitoring tools afforded us. Using LogicMonitor as a platform to augment and enhance our Nagios deployment eased the growing pains we experience and allowed me to focus the team’s energy towards effective analysis of performance data and proactive decision making. Before making the jump to any SaaS monitoring platform, I would advise others to consider their position and determine if a solution like LogicMonitor fits best as a wholesale replacement or as augmentation to on-prem solutions.