LogMeIn Central Review

Combines central security console with a central point for user administration

What is our primary use case?

Systems administration, servers and desktops; I am using it for security, although there is no public or private cloud involved.

It is also used for remote access for users.

How has it helped my organization?

For me, it's convenience because I cover three different offices, and I need to be able to remotely access any of those three offices from anywhere, anytime. With LogMeIn Central, I can do that.

What is most valuable?

The security, that I can glance down and see quickly who's up to date on patches, and who has virus concerns.

Also, that I have a solution for users to have remote access to their personal computers.

What needs improvement?

Cost. It's probably worth the value, but the price increases over the last five years are getting harder to justify.

Also, backwards compatibility for non-Microsoft-supported operating systems, for example, XP and 2003. In situations where I have no options but to run older operating systems, I would like for it to be backwards compatible.

Three to five years.

It is a stable product.

My account covers 100 computers, and I use 98-99% of it most of the time.

I have not had much need to contact technical support, but the times I have, it's usually been for authentication, and it's been resolved quickly.

When I came to the company, it was five years ago, and a lot of the users were already using the free version, when it was free. The pricing was good enough that it was an easy answer.

It was straightforward.

It has a low learning curve, and once people get familiar with the web interface, it doesn't take very long at all to acclimate to performing functions administratively there.

I did evaluate other options. We went with it for pricing reasons, that it was the biggest bang for our buck, by combining the ability to have a central security console, as well as a central point for user administration.

I think we looked at a Bomgar solution. I think Citrix had a solution that we reviewed. It's been five years since I really got into it. GoToMyPC, I think, was a vendor we looked at. But it was cost prohibitive.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a small footprint in the IT department, it's a very efficient tool to give a very well-rounded perspective of remote access and security control on devices, and in an environment where it's geographically disbursed.

I rate it a nine out of 10. I think it's nearly impossible for anybody to ever reach the level of 10, in my book. I don't think that you're adequately evaluating software if you're giving 10s out to everyone. I would like to see continued progress and development.