LogMeIn Central Review

Enables unattended access so I can provide support during non-work hours

What is our primary use case?

IT support for about 200 work stations and 50 servers.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the improvements they made was a LogMeIn Central client - that was a couple years ago - and that has been great. You no longer have to use their web interface. There's actually a client that you can install, which lists all of the machines and servers that you can access. That works really well.

What is most valuable?

Unattended Access, because I do a lot of support on machines that people are having trouble with, and sometimes I need to do that during non-working hours.

I do not use it for remote printing. I do not use it for file transfers.

More than five years.

Very stable. It works really well.

In terms of scalability, it's very much so. They have different plans. One computer to 250 computers. They used to have 1 to 100, and then 100 to 250, then 250 to 500 devices. If you hit 251, the price doubles because you went over the 250 max. It's very scalable, other than the price.

Good tech support. They're excellent.

We used Remote Desktop, VNC, pcAnywhere. They were okay to use, but each machine had to have a separate port on it to connect to that machine, because they were all trying to port to the external world, the public internet, from the private network.

Then LogMeIn came out and didn't need any of that because it's cloud-managed, so it actually creates its own port for each machine, which is not a problem. And it works great.

Very straightforward. All you need is a general understanding of how things work through a web-based management system. Anybody's who really good with browser-based software, it's real easy.

The price. I complain about it all the time. It's gone up from relatively inexpensively to, right now, about $2000 a year for me, based upon the number of machines I have. You say $2000 is not that bad, but the price has jumped up significantly over the past few years.

They went three or four years without any price increases, and then they did a dramatic increase, three or four times the annual fee, two years in a row. But last year and this year it has been pretty stable. But they jumped significantly a couple years ago.

I'm not sure it's worth the money, but I haven't found anything as good or better.

It depends on what you need. If you need unattended access, then LogMeIn; I haven't found anyting better. If you can get away with having attended access, there's another product that I use as well called TeamViewer.

There is a free and also a paid version of TeamViewer, and the paid version will allow limited remote access, but you still need access to the remote machine to start with. On that, I always need to have someone at the remote machine when I'm trying to get into it, although sometimes that's good. But there are a lot of times when it's not good for me because I do a lot of things after hours, when people have gone home.

For example, say you're working in Seattle, Washington and you're having a problem with your workstation, but it's something I need to address that's going to take me a couple of hours, and I don't want to interrupt your work. I will sit down and say, "Fine, I'll tell you what. Leave your computer running tonight, and I will hook into it tonight after you've gone home, and I'll work on it. And you'll come in the morning and everything will be fixed." With TeamViewer, I can't do that one. With LogMeIn, I can.

What other advice do I have?

I don't use LogMeIn Central to keep my endpoints secure? I use a Fortinet gateway and a Juniper gateway, firewalls. I just use LogMeIn for remote access.

What we manage is all on-premise, but it's not all in one central location. We're a town. There are 11 different buildings that I have stuff in. It's all there, as opposed to out in the cloud someplace. I'm not using public or private clouds.

If you need remote desktop assistance, I would recommend LogMeIn. If you just need to help out friends, I would actually go with TeamViewer.