LogMeIn Pro Review
Gives me all my different groups and logins in a central location

What is our primary use case?

To administer computer systems, both for internal use and for some private individuals and customers. We have several thousand IT assets, but we only use LogMeIn for about 75 of them, but they're the elite of the group.

We have a lot of stations that we manage that don't really have humans at them. They're remote stations, like oil companies and Home Depots and drug stores. We do thousands of customers. But the ones that we use LogMeIn for are the owners of the companies, or the main management groups inside the companies. We provide more of a concierge-type service. That includes mainly end-users but there are a few servers and a few PoS systems.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes it more convenient to remotely administer computers, via the web or mobile devices. That seems to be a good feature we're using more and it's very convenient to be able to get to whatever location we need to, rapidly.

What is most valuable?

Having it in a central location, all the different groups, and being able to ad-hoc or at will log on to whichever computer system I need to get to from a central spot.

What needs improvement?

As far as the usability of it, I'd like to see if printing could be enabled in the basic version or the medium version. Some of the remote printing isn't available unless you go to the premium versions, and that's disappointing.

The only other issue I have is the price, especially for the people that have been with it from the very beginning of time. They should be giving us discounts on it because we've been with them - loyal customers and loyal helpers and assistants, promoters - the whole time. That's a little disappointing.

Now, they do give us a discount occasionally, depending upon what we get, but I have to give them a lot of different customers and then they'll give me a little discount here and there. A suggestion would be provide discounts for people that have been with LogMeIn for a significant amount of time.

More than five years.

With Windows 10 we've had some issues with it crashing, and certain antivirus products cause it to fail.

For the most part it's stable, but we do have an occasional crash mainly related to new operating systems. The new Microsoft Server and the new Windows operating systems sometimes have issues with it. But for the most part, in anything under, say, Windows 7, Windows 8, those seem to be pretty stable, and with the Microsoft Server 2012 and below, it's all stable.

It's the newer Microsoft operating systems it seems to be struggling with. And I don't necessarily think it's LogMeIn. I think it may be Microsoft, to be honest with you.

I haven't encountered scalability issues yet. But we're about to scale up a big company with a lot of users, so we'll find out if that is an issue or not.

It was really good at the beginning, and then all of a sudden it got not so good. But it seems like it's been improving more, lately. So it's been an up and down situation with support. But I think that, for the most part, it seems to be improving.

I don't call it a lot, but when I did call it, maybe six months or a year ago, it seemed like there was a big problem with it. But now it seems like that has been resolved, or at least it's better. For a while it took them a long time to get back with us on simple things. They seem like they're responding better now, so hopefully that continues.

It seems like the setup is simple and works really well. It's always been relatively easy to set up, and so it has gotten even better now. With the new version, you can send links out so they can set it up very easily. So there's no issue with the setup.

The price point has gone up significantly. We used to have a lot of other customers. I used to sell it to other customer sites. But they've moved to TeamViewer, SiteSecure, and several others. There are four or five others that they went to because they're being more competitive on their pricing. So price is one big thing. I could probably sell more of the product, even in the 25- to 50-user versions, if the price was more reasonable for the entry-level version.

We do use other products besides LogMeIn. Splashtop is one, TeamViewer, several others. But I prefer LogMeIn. The only drawback with LogMeIn is that the pricing structure has been increasing so rapidly, that's a turnoff.

Back in the day, there were all kinds of different options. But I helped develop it, so I was tied to the creators a lot and I just stayed with it over the years. I've been with it from the very beginning, so I'm a proponent of it. I am very pleased that it's been continuing.

What other advice do I have?

We are not leveraging it to keep our end points secure. I need to delve more into it. I don't know all the capabilities of it. I just mainly use it. A lot of the customer sites have their own either IT groups or their own managed services for some of that. They have Symantec, they have Firewall-1, they have McAfee, they have ESET, that's a big one. SonicWALL is another one and GFI is a big one too. So there are multiple different solutions that they use. But I may be more interested in how that works with LogMeIn to be able to promote it, if I knew how to use it.

Our IT infrastructure is both on-premise and leveraging public and private cloud, but we haven't really been using LogMeIn for that. We have a different product we use for that, or a different approach.

We're using Azure as one of them. But we have something that one of our developers built that ties a lot of them together in a central spot, something like you do with LogMeIn Central. But they created their own environment to manage that stuff, so it's in a central location. We can just click on it and go to whichever one we want to. It's basically a website of other websites.

It depends on what you're going to be using it for, if you're going to be using it for systems administration or if you're going to be using it for presentations... For the most part, I would advise you to definitely check it out if you can afford it. Some customers do it and some customers don't. But I would advise you to look at the feature set, does it accomplish all the needs that you have.