LogMeIn Rescue Review

Enables me to remote reboot and reconnect without the end user; and I can run it as a console, see event logs through the utility itself

How has it helped my organization?

People no longer want to kill me. Meaning, with the amount of tools I have accessible to me through the product, there's less interaction needed with the end user. In other words, all I have to do is have them get that machine on the internet. After that, I can do pretty much everything else without having to have the user hover over the computer. I can remote reboot and know I can reconnect automatically without having to have them log back in again.

The ease of use from the IT perspective, and less cumbersome, less invasive experience for the end user.

What is most valuable?

The ability to run it as a console when I log in. It thinks I'm there. It allows me to do file transfers. It allows me to see event logs through the utility, as opposed to having to open them on the client machine, so I can help troubleshoot unobtrusively, at least as much as possible. Calling Card is nice. And I haven't used it yet but I'm really looking forward to using the iPhone feature.

What needs improvement?

My biggest complaint was iPhone, which they're steadily working on making better, which is great. As I said, I haven't had a chance to test it, but I'm really excited about it. Looks good. The iPhone support has been the Achilles heel for the longest time, because all of my users are on iPhones.

The only other issue that I occasionally have, and it's not necessarily LogMeIn's problem, is that if the end user is using Mozilla Firefox, instead of Internet Explorer or Chrome, they have to go to logmein123.com, they have to put in their code, then they download. Both Chrome and IE will go through the process of doing the little install app, whereas if the user is using Mozilla, it doesn't necessarily go as smoothly. You have to have them go find the download, and then manually launch it from their download bucket.

More than five years.

I'm very happy with it, otherwise I would have dumped it a long time ago. It's a very stable product. I like using it. It's no longer my primary, but it is my emergency backup system for other tools. I'm using ManageEngine now in my environment, so if for whatever reason that solution is acting up, LogMeIn is the backup. And LogMeIn is the primary for new hires and third-party support, where I have to login to computers to do whatever. So I love it. I will not get rid of it. It's a great product.

I have a small IT shop, I've no real need for the IT side, so to speak, to grow.

And then for the deployment footprint, it's really not all that big. I'm sure it's scalable, but I was supporting up to 300 computers with it, with only three technician licenses, at one point.

It's just very manageable. It's great to be able to do a handoff from one technician to another in the middle of a session, or bring someone in to help you out. In my opinion it's fine.

This might attest to the overall reason that I like LogMeIn so much: I don't think I've had a problem where I've had to call tech support.

The only problem I had - and it wasn't even a problem - was because I move from company to company. Once I go to the new company, I just resubscribe under that business name. Because I don't go in there that often, "Where do I change the logo?" You moved the thingy. "Where do I change the background?" That kind of stuff. It wasn't like, "Oh this is something broken. I need you to help." I've never had an issue like that. It's been rock solid.

I was using GoToMeeting, I was using LogMeIn, and I was using some other product. But LogMeIn gave me many more features than the other guys, so I went with the LogMeIn package.

I got onboard with LogMeIn because it was free at one point, LogMeIn Free. When I found out you can get all these other bells and whistles, services for individual accounts, I purchased. Then when LogMeIn Rescue came out, that was a no-brainer. I said, "Oh, I'm doing that." It was a progression of upgrades from very early on to what they are offering now.

Also, I went with it because of the ease of use for the user. It was less cumbersome to get them on support session through LogMeIn. The file transfer and the event log access was incredibly easy and, again, I did not need to engage the end user. As an IT person, you know what you're doing. You know what you need to get to the solution so they can move on with life. The end user doesn't necessarily want to know how to get into this, how to get into that, and have to help me help them. So the LogMeIn products, then and now, once I'm in I can do just about everything without really involving the end user, which is great.

The setup to get up and going was easy. The challenge was making the LogMeIn portal match, a little better, the business I would be with. So something like, maybe, changing the colors. I haven't even looked recently because I just don't do it anymore. You would get in there and you have every tool available to you under the sun to get it to work, but you almost had to be a little bit more on the developer side to be able to select the right color code for the background.

You couldn't select a photo for your logo and it would size it to what you needed. So if you put in the logo, it had to be 680 by 240 pixels, and no larger than this or that. That was kind of annoying. In this day and age, you should be able to allow me to pick, "Okay I want that one," and it should auto-size the thing. I should be able to click and drag. It should only take me 10 - 15 minutes to make a simple little splash page, wipe my hands of it, and move on with my life. So that would be a nice feature to make it better or easier.

I appreciate that they're giving me all the tools under the sun, but not everybody has a web developer in their IT staff that can sit there, or a graphic designer accessible, to make all those files just right, until it looks perfect. I've seen it done, but I don't have the time or the bandwidth or the patience to do that. So it would be nice to add some click and drag features to make the look and feel of the LogMeIn experience match the company color schema or motto or back screen or logos better, or whatever the customer wants to make it look like.

What other advice do I have?

The pro is, of course, that the end-user experience is about as easy as can be with this product. And from a technician point of view, it gives you so many tools to help diagnose that end machine, which is fantastic. To me, that was the biggest selling point. I can get in there and do my job and not have to harass the end user. And I can do just about anything with it remotely.

The only con that I would say is that I wish this product was tied to a Help Desk package so I could manage tickets and have an infrastructure, with this being the primary tool to troubleshoot. In other words, a user could submit tickets. Instead of LogMeIn123.com, it would be LogMeInTicket.com, something like that, to submit a ticket outside of a corporate umbrella, but it doesn't have to be tied to VPN. That would be a really nice feature, if this became something like a ManageEngine or half a dozen other different Help Desk software packages out there. It's such a great tool, I would go with that.

From my perspective and my experience, LogMeIn is already at a 10 out of 10. Everything else that I would like is just icing on the cake, it really is fluff. But to get in there and get the job done, do the support for the end user, I think it does a great job. I really do.