LogRhythm NextGen SIEM Review

It puts things together and provides the evidence and has good automation and integration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use it for log ingestion and monitoring activity in our environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a simpler system than what we had before. We had IBM QRadar, which used to give us everything, and we had to dig through, figure out, and piece it all together. LogRhythm lights up when an event occurs. As opposed to just giving us everything, it will piece things together for you and let you know that you probably should look at this. It also provides the evidence.

It is easy to find what you're looking for. It is not like a needle in the haystack like QRadar was. It is not a mystery why something popped or why you're being alerted. It provides you the details or the evidence as to why it alerted or alarmed on something, making qualifying or investigations a little bit quicker and also allowing us to close down on remediation times.

What is most valuable?

Automations are very valuable. It provides the ability to automate some of our small use cases.

The ability to integrate with other products that use an API is also very useful. LogRhythm has a plugin for it that we can connect and start to move down towards the path of a single pane of glass instead of having multiple or different tools.

What needs improvement?

Their ticketing system for managing cases can be improved. They can either do that or adopt some of the open-source ticket systems into theirs. The current system works and gets the job done, but it is very bare-bones and basic. There are some things that could be improved there.

They should also bring in more threat intelligence into the product and also probably start to look into the integration of more cloud or SAS products for ingesting logs. They're doing the work, but with the explosion of COVID, a lot of businesses have started to move towards more cloud applications or SAS applications. There is a whole diverse suite of SAS products out there, which is a challenge for them and I get it. They seem to be focusing on the big ones, but it'll be nice to be able to, for example, pull in Microsoft logs from Office 365. They are working towards a better way of doing that, and they have a product in the pipeline to pull logs in from other SAS applications.

The biggest thing for them is going to be moving away from a Windows Server infrastructure into a straight-up Linux, which is more stable in my eyes. For the backend, they can maybe move into more of an up-to-date Elastic search engine and use less of Microsoft products.

I have been using this solution for three years.

Bugs are there. We've encountered quite a few, but support is pretty quick at picking up and working with us through those and then escalating through their different peers until we get a solution. Now, the bugs are becoming less and less. Initially, they were rolling out features pretty quickly, and maybe some use cases weren't considered. We ran into those bugs because it was a unique use case.

It is easy to scale. We run different appliances. So, for us scaling is not an issue. Each appliance does a different piece of the function, so scalability is not a problem. We started off doing say 10,000 logs per second or MPS event, and then we quickly upgraded. Now, we're sitting at a cool 15,000. There is no need to upgrade hardware or anything. You just update the license. That is it.

We have multiple users in there. We have a security team, operations teams, server team, and network team for operations. We also have our research team, HBC team, and support desk staff. We have security teams from other universities in the States. We're sitting at a cool 50 users.

Their technical support is good. They are pretty quick at working with us. I would give them an eight out of ten. I don't know what they see on their end when a customer calls in and whether they are able to see previous tickets. It always feels like you're starting fresh every time. They could maybe improve on that end.

We had IBM QRadar for what seemed to be almost a decade. So, we just needed something different. There was a loss of knowledge transfer, as you can imagine, over a decade with different people coming in and out of security teams, and the transfer of knowledge was very limited. At the time I got on board, I had to figure out how to use it and how to maintain it and keep it going. We had some difficulties or challenges with IBM in getting a grasp on how we can keep getting support. It was a challenge just figuring out who our account rep was. After I figured that out, it was somewhat smooth sailing, and then we just decided it was time for something different, just a break-off because products change in ten years. You can either stay with it and deal with issues, or you do a break-off and get what's best for the organization.

It was complex simply because we had different products.

We did have professional services to help us, which made the installation a little bit smoother. Onboarding of logs and having somebody with whom you can bounce ideas and who can go find an answer for you if they didn't have one readily available made the transition from one product to the other pretty straightforward.

We did a five-year agreement. We pay close to a quarter of a million dollars for our solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise giving it a look. If you're able to deal with it in your environment and just give it a chance, it'll grow on you. It is not Splunk, but it's getting there. They're gaining visibility with other vendors. The integration with third parties is starting to light up a little bit for them, unlike IBM QRadar that has already created that bond with third parties to bring in their services into the product. LogRhythm is definitely getting there, and it is a quick way to leverage in-house talent. So, if you want to do automation and you have someone who is good at Python scripting or PowerShell, you can easily build something in-house to automate some of those use cases that you may want to do.

I would rate LogRhythm NextGen SIEM an eight out of ten.

7.5
More LogRhythm NextGen SIEM reviews from users
...who compared it with Splunk
Learn what your peers think about LogRhythm NextGen SIEM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.