LogRhythm NextGen SIEM Review

I like that it allows me to get a quick scan of what happened in the last 24 hours. We also use it for compliance reasons since we are audited frequently by our state.

Valuable Features

It allows me, through the reporting functions, to take a quick scan of what's happened in the prior 24 hours.

Also, it's essential for our compliance. We're audited frequently and this is the piece that's essentially mandated by the State.

Improvements to My Organization

It creates a good feedback loop whereby I'm able to scan through and see what off-limits activities users have been doing. I think it improves the organization by letting them know that everything that they're doing is not invisible. It's a demonstration to them that they need to do what they say they're going to do and follow the policies that are in place here.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see a real-time dashboard of events. I know it's available, but it needs work. I haven't been able to put in the 20 or 30 hours that it would take to really become an expert with it. I rely on the PDF reports which guide my day, but having the information in real time in the dashboard would be nice.

To me, the best additional feature would be, much like you see with a firewall or with an antivirus scan or intrusion prevention, a real-time console for activity and almost sort of automatic updates for certain features. That would be helpful.

Use of Solution

We got our first unit here in 2009.

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability has been fine. There were some problems in earlier versions, but I wouldn't put that all on LogRhythm. Part of it was that we needed and equipment upgrade and it was literally a year and a half or two years where it was optimally built for that we had to continue using the old version, the old appliance, and it took us a long time to get upgraded. So we were dealing with some rather clunky situations, running out of disk space, that kind of thing.

I really can't comment on scalability because we're a rather small organization. We only have 50 or 60 staff members and no plans to really grow or extend the use of it out to another organization. From the beginning, it's handled all of our work and again, without any real big plans to grow, it's hard for me to comment on that.

Their support team is very good. As IT organizations go, I can only think of maybe one time when I had to request a second person to look at a problem. They provide timely responses, and they provide really good training. I have no complaints.

The setup requires an agent to be installed on all the machines and we have an in-house intrusion prevention system server base. We did a fair amount of finagling with that. I would say in an organization without those types of software running, it would be a piece of cake. I think it would be excellent. With us, we had a few extra hurdles to jump through just because of the fact that we had to be so secure in-house here.

Implementation Team

LogRhythm sent the appliance, we hooked it up, and we plugged it in. From there, they gave us 10-15 hours of time with a setup team via WebEx. They took control of the machine and taught us the basics. Then we took it from there.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We've maintained the same base of licenses since we began, and it was sized properly. I would say they gave us good advice on how much to spend on licensing. We've been able to collect all the logs we really need here for that issue.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated the freeware alternatives, but we needed a turnkey solution and we just didn't have hundreds of hours to put into a starter box, so we went with a commercial buy.

We didn't perform an exhaustive search, but the result was somewhat fortuitous. I began the search and found someone at LogRhythm I felt I got along with. This person was very knowledgeable beyond the salesman-type of knowledge. He was able to relate with our needs here.

Other Advice

I would recommend them. I think that their product has evolved over time. I think there were a couple of years in the very beginning when I was a little frustrated with them, but now, and especially, we just bought a new box last year, the newer version, it seems to have a lot of the kinks worked out, and so I wouldn't have any problem recommending them.