LogRhythm NextGen SIEM Review

Facilitates visibility into our infrastructure, identifies things we can trigger on and alert

Video Review:

How has it helped my organization?

It's visibility. Frequently our network team - while our network security is paramount from a security perspective - our network team is really focused on keeping the network up. They're not concerned about intrusions, and potential malicious activity. They're making sure that users can get data from point A to point B successfully without any downtime. With LogRhythm, our SIEM solution offers more of a rounded perspective, especially from security, making sure they are not only operational, but they're operational in a security conscious manner. That's really helped.

I specifically keyed on the network, but it's really where we're able to add additional visibility across all groups, from a security perspective, that they might not be aware of. Usually a business owner is just focused on, "Is my application up, is it running? Yes." They're happy. We come in and bolt on security, and we're changing the mindset of our company one group at a time.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable feature is really providing us visibility into our infrastructure. Frequently, I'm reaching out to our partners in the business, and I'm asking them how I can assist them, and how I can improve their visibility from a security perspective.

Often times, like many of the users I've met this week here at the LogRhythm User conference, we've encountered that the business owners, they're not familiar with their logs. Some of them haven't even really looked at them. But when I delve into the logs with them, and identify some things we can trigger on and alert on, and really help them improve the efficacy of their tool, it's really been a big benefit to have that visibility. Not only from the security perspective, but an operational perspective. It's really helped to build a relationship between us and the business.

What needs improvement?

There is, of course, always, improved automation. Because, as we are continually needing more and more people from an analyst perspective, the more we can automate, the fewer people we need. If we can automate some of the lower-level things, that can allow our SOC to be trained on the higher-level more technical things that really give the true value. I don't want my analyst to be stuck underneath sending emails, and "alert fatigue" is the buzz word.

But, on top of that, there has been a market that has grown from SIEM for security orchestration, where it's another tool you have to bolt on top of SIEM to make SIEM as effective as it should be from day one.

I was in a session earlier today here at the LogRhythm User conference where they're mentioning that the web UI, and through the case management, they're actually getting an incident playbook that you can utilize. That's a big step that I'm intrigued by. Hopefully it goes the way that it's planned because that is one that saves me from having to go out and purchase a separate security orchestration tool, which is just another screen I need to look at.

That feature is one that I'm very excited about, and hopefully it follows the roadmap according to what LogRhythm is projecting. That's definitely a feature that I and my managers have identified as a need. I was excited to hear about that at this conference.

That's probably the only feature request that would be of drastic improvement to our SOC.

We've been on LogRhythm since version 6. We've dealt with some bumps and bruises here and there. However, LogRhythm has clearly been dedicated to improving stability at every turn and every hotfix and every new agent release. It's gotten better and better.

With 7.2.2 we went to High Availability mode. We were having some issues, our deployment is global, we're in multiple datacenters across the world. Having HA has really helped us because if our platform manager went down, we could just failover perfectly to our second one, and not get called at midnight. So that's been great.

However, past 7.2.2, HA has almost become unnecessary because its stability has improved to such a level that HA is now just a bonus feature. It's a security blanket versus a necessity.

Currently, we're running one AI Engine in our local datacenter where we're based out of, in Texas. We have two platform managers like I mentioned, they're both in HA mode. We have a en-clustered DX cluster in that datacenter. We've got at least one data processor, if not multiple, in every other datacenter with its own corresponding indexer as well.

We treat as many LogRhythm environments across all data centers that funnel up to our main one in Dallas.

The Professional Services as well as the general support has been phenomenal. They're very attentive to our needs. When we submit a ticket we get a pretty quick response back. If they don't know the answer, they're either immediately going over to their buddies down the row, and seeing if they can get help and, if not, they escalate it as quickly as possible.

Any upgrade of an application this size, you're going to hit some snags and hurdles, but LogRhythm as a SIEM tool company, from a support perspective, has really allowed us to overcome those and we haven't really had any downtime as a result of upgrades.

They go pretty well. Of course there are bumps and bruises, especially with LogRhythm being such a massive application. If it was to go 100% well, I would honestly think that it didn't go that well, and I just don't know about it.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think any application can truly be a 10 out of 10, especially one of LogRhythm's size; that would be very difficult to achieve. But an eight, in my mind, is perfect. That means there is room for improvement, there is room for me to work with the vendor, and talk back and forth about what my needs are specifically so they can work that into a feature request down the line.