LogRhythm NextGen SIEM Review

We use it to examine traffic patterns and anomalies, but have a hard time visually sifting through the noise

What is our primary use case?

We have a small population of users, but we are large physically and geographically spread out with a lot of devices on our network. We need all that login capability going into one spot where we can see it and correlate events across all our infrastructure with a small staff.

How has it helped my organization?

We're still struggling to get a real return on it and finding something that isn't false noise.

There have been a few things, such as weird service accounts that have an encrypted password which are locking things out. However, we haven't had a big security event success with it as of yet. We could be missing things here, not seeing what is going on.

What is most valuable?

We do a lot of the alerting, as far as user accounts. We have NetFlow information going into it, so we can examine a lot of traffic patterns and anomalies, especially if something stands out and is not the baseline. This helps a lot.

What needs improvement?

We still have a lot of noise, so this is a problem. We are having a hard time visually sifting through it. We need help dialing it in. We don't have the in-house expertise. Do we hire someone just for this purpose and have them sit there all day, every day doing that? It is almost at that point. We are looking at Optiv as solution right now.

It is so robust. There are so many moving pieces that you can't dabble in them. This is the problem that we are struggling with. You have to have somebody who works with it, and that is their job. Maybe a bigger company could have a whole team which could do this, but we don't have the capability right now.

I would like to see the client and the web client merged, so all the administrative functions are in the same web interface. It is just clunky right now. If you leave it running, it slows down your machine. However, we are still on version 7.3.

It seems to be stable.

It should meet our needs going forward. It seems like it is a mature enough product.

As far as what it takes, I don't know if it's worth the effort to get it on all the desktops, like every single user desktop and laptop reporting to it or if it is better just to target the main controllers, etc.

I haven't had to use them too much. We will find out after we go online with Optiv.

I have my sales engineer with LogRhythm, who has been helpful. She reaches out to me every couple months just to see if we need anything and offers assistance, because we'd already used up our block of hours when we first provisioned this solution.

We probably will contact them, if we go with Optiv, then they can help us upgrade.

We did an on-premise solution. If I had to do it again, I would probably do a cloud-based solution. They basically shipped two boxes which were essentially ready to go. Then, I worked with an engineer who had a block of hours and he got the HA capability going. We got it dialed in and tied it up with the mainframe.

Our team is in the process this week of doing a health check and trying to get everything up to speed. We are doing an upgrade, because we are still on 7.3. We need to be upgraded to 7.4.

We have been using it for about a year. We are probably only about 75 percent there. We need help getting it dialed in, having some of the noise tuned out, and getting the alerts set up properly, so we can work off hours on different triggers. This is where we are struggling because we need to sleep, and we are blind during that time. So, we something to help us with that.

The installation wasn't too bad. LogRhythm did most of it. I just had to do the stuff that was specific for our environment.

We went back and forth between LogRhythm, Splunk, and AlienVault.

I liked LogRhythm mostly for how it integrated with the network infrastructure. It was my decision, and I'm not 100% sure that I picked the right one.

LogRhythm works well with our network-centric environment. However, it may not be the best for other things.

What other advice do I have?

I am rating the solution a six out of ten, because we have not gotten it to work yet. With all its components, there is such a learning curve.

I haven't gotten far enough along in the process to know if the solution has a shortcoming or if it is our shortcoming with somehow getting it dialed in.